Thursday, 1 April 2010

What Are You Reading?

Today, being the 1st Thursday of the month, I should have been at my book group. However, last month we decided to put it back a week to the 8th because of the proximity of Easter. And now, of course, next week I will be in Scotland ... weather permitting.
Anyway, I thought I'd share what I'm currently reading anyway. I'm afraid 'Lolita' went back to the library unfinished; I couldn't get to grips with it at all. DH said that I was subconsciously reacting to the subject matter; he may have a point. When we went to mum's a few weekends ago, she loaned me her American copy of A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. It's very precious to her, as she bought it in Barnes & Noble on 5th Avenue, New York City during her only ever trip to the States in September 2006. (Her travelling companion was yours truly, who was 6 months pregnant and made the queue of people waiting outside Grand Central Station for the bus to JFK laugh like drains when she informed the driver that she was flying Virgin ...)
But back to A Tree Grows In Brooklyn ~ it's wonderful and I can't put it down. If you already know this book, then I'm sure you agree just how marvellous it is. If you don't know this book, ask at your local library. You won't regret it.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Me next please.

Bernie said...

Oh you are funny, I haven't read this book but my sister has and she loved it......:-) Hugs

Sian said...

Funny story :) I'm currently reading "What Marie Antoinette Wore To The Revolution" which I picked up cheap in a sale

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...