Saturday, 22 May 2010

The 'All About Me' International Blog Hop

Good morning and welcome to the 'All About Me' International Blog Hop! We have been brilliantly organised by Mel of I Speak Melsh and, if you'd like to see the full list of party attendees, then please check out her blog. If you started following the links at Mel's place, then you'll have come to me via Liz (who just happens to be my sister) at Life At The Gables. The kitchen is open for breakfast, so place an order and feel free to browse my project while you wait. (I already know that Mel would prefer dry toast and that Amy would prefer a little something stronger than tea, given that it is 4pm Saturday afternoon for her right now.)

The theme for our party was 'All About Me', with the extra fun element of using a tin, if possible. (This whole idea originally came from a free class run by Stacy Julian at Big Picture Scrapbooking.) I found an empty note card tin on my shelf and knew it would be perfect for this project. I also knew, early on, that my 'All About Me' wasn't going to be all about me at all.
My 'All About Me' refers to my toddler son and I had the perfect range of patterned paper in my stash: October Afternoon's Night Light range.These cute stick men were cut on my Cricut using the Beyond Birthdays cartridge. Fun, aren't they?I lined the tin with green tissue paper and used green ink and green thread in order to keep the colour scheme together. The basic mini-book is concertina in style, with 6 folds, which gave me 12 'pages' to use.I chose 6 of my favourite child-related sayings and typed them out in the child-friendly 2Peas font. I stitched each saying on to a piece of patterned paper and added a stick man. All the photos were printed out in black and white, and each photo had a tag secured to it. I used the following key words: love, learn, smile, cry, discover and laugh.
Before I hand you over to Elizabeth at Hootings Of An Owl for the next leg of our blog hop party, I'd like to offer you, the party guests, the opportunity to win a party favour, which you can see below. On offer is a mini album kit, which consists of 1 paper album, 14 double-sided sheets, 12 double-sided photo mats, 1 sheet of clear title stickers, 1 sheet of epoxy stickers, 1 sheet of die-cut shapes and 1 mailing envelope. The paper range is called Rebel, which I think would be perfect for a teenage boy, a tomboy girl or a biker husband! All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning is leave me a comment to say you stopped by. I'll do a random drawing on Monday at 2pm (3pm GMT). Thank you so much for stopping by; I hope you had fun.
And now over to Elizabeth ...

31 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

This is soooo awesome! The photos are precious, and black & white was the perfect choice. Love the stickmen and quotes! This is such a treasure.
Rinda

Amy said...

I can hardly type this is so absolutely FANTASTIC! Ruth, this is one of the most fabulous projects EVER ... I love the colours and how you put the whole thing together and that font is super - well done! I'll get that drink now if you don't mind ..... ;-)

debs14 said...

What an imaginative book - I love it! It hadn't even crossed my mind to make 'me' the story of someone else - how clever! And with such a gorgeous young man as a subject, I can understand why you chose to do it. The quotes are fab too.

Cherry said...

What a wonderful interpretation Ruth - love your photos and the album is pure magic. Thanks for sharing this one. Hugs Cherry XXX

helena said...

as the others said, this is fabulous. Love the papers and the stick men are such fun. Great take on the prompt

Ann said...

What a gorgeous project Ruth. I love the photos and the stick men, and especially the sayings. I'm a great fan of quotations. Well done.

humel said...

I just love that you did this about your boy :-) I was thinking about doing the project over again for my two, and having seen this I definitely have to! It's *stunning* :-)

jo said...

I love this Ruth - the papers are perfect and the black and white photos are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Denise said...

As everyone has said before me,absolutely fabulous project.I love the stick men and the whole idea is just perfect,well done youxxx

Heather said...

Ditto all above comments!! lol.
Its fabulous Ruth & you must be so pleased with yourself. Like Mel said its definitely one project I shall be repeating but this time about my son. xx

luci said...

I love the stick mand and the green. it looks great with the black and white photos. hmm. breakfats. coffee and croissants for me, please.

Nancy said...

Love how you used it about your son.....and fab use of a recycled tin.
x

scrappyjacky said...

Love your completely different take on the theme. The b + w photos work perfectly....and the way you've done the journaling is great.

Elizabeth said...

What a treasure, Ruth. I especially like the black and white idea.

Karen said...

This is fabulous! Your photography & journaling is wonderful, and I love the way you've used to the stick figures to add continuity between the pages.

Robyn said...

LOVE IT!!!

love the monsters
love the photos
love the black and whites

It just looks great, Ruth!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

This is wonderful! I love the stick figures & the b&w photos!

Leann said...

Hi Ruth

All I can say is I love it! The tin is a great idea and the photos and layout are wonderful.

Well I guess I was able to say a little more:)

Enjoy your day and thanks for popping by!
Leann

Sian said...

What a wonderful idea Ruth! He will be holding on to this for a very long time to come I'll bet. (And he really looks so handsome in all those pictures!)

Liz said...

Brilliant. I love it. Those stick men are perfect for H. The 2 peas font is something I will needto investigate further!!

Thanks for the butterfly punch. I did try to send a text but I don't know if my new phone sent it!!!!

Cheri said...

Great alteration of the tin and wonderful color use. (Please don't include me in the drawing) So glad you played along!

Enjoy the Ride said...

OMG I love that you turned into "all about your son"... I love the stick figures too! Very creative, thanks for sharing!

Photographing Mom said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Ruth!! Very creative!

qwiksave said...

I love the photos you have used, what a cute little boy! Lovely project, definately one of my faves.

Nicky (qwiksave)

Anonymous said...

Bought computer Ruth and found your blog. Am enjoying it very much.

Bernie said...

Just a wonderful post Ruth, I love everything about it and it was worth waiting until today to see it. Great job.........:-) Hugs

furrypig said...

WOW! Ruth that is such a beautiful book, I love how you have used B&W pics and the quotes and the stick men and everything about it! Do I sound like a mad stalker fan sorry! But it's great!

Deb said...

Ah! Finally making the rounds over to you, Ruth, and I LOVE what you did here! The stick man is an ADORABLE addition to this book, and it's so sweet that you themed it for your boy. I love it.

I ALMOST bought the "Beyond Birthdays" cartridge the other day and passed it up. Rats! I didn't know there was a cute stick figure on it...might have to go grab it after all! :o)

JO SOWERBY said...

what a sweet idea. something about ''me'' for ur son is really clever. he will have something to treasure as he grows up. loving this idea............can i pinch it please?
Jo xxxx
ps forgot to say stick people.......wow!!! ;-))

laurie b said...

this was so fun to read! i love the little "stick figures"!

brte gabriela said...

Interesting article, should be done more like this, keep up the good work.