Wednesday, 26 May 2010

ANZAC Biscuits

When my friend dropped her daughter off with me yesterday, she brought me half a dozen homemade ANZAC biscuits. She makes them for her church, because apparently they last a reasonable length of time ... but not in this house! I've tasted them before, because our Aussie Gap students used to make them ~ that was back in my other life.
Ingredients:
85g porridge oats
85g desiccated coconut
100g plain flour
100g caster sugar
100g butter , plus extra butter for greasing
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Method:
Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Put the oats, coconut, flour and sugar in a bowl. Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the golden syrup. Add the bicarbonate of soda to 2 tbsp boiling water, then stir into the golden syrup and butter mixture.
Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter and golden syrup mixture. Stir gently to incorporate the dry ingredients.
Put dessertspoonfuls of the mixture on to buttered baking sheets, about 2.5cm/1in apart to allow room for spreading. Bake in batches for 8-10 minutes until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Amy ~ what do you reckon, is this the correct recipe?

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love these biscuits thanks for the recipe x

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Another charming difference between England and the US... you say biscuits, while we say cookies. But I knew exactly what you meant. Besides, a rose by any other name is still a rose! And those look SO good! What does ANZAC stand for, I'm assuming that's an acronym for something???

XO,

Sheila :-)

Creative Carmelina said...

Now, i was just thinking of leaving my studio for a quick snack...but thought to look at your post first...

now I'm wondering if I have any cookies in the house! I'd better, or you're in trouble! for giving me a hankerin'! lol

ciao bella
creative carmelina

debs14 said...

These wouldn't last long in my house either! They look delicious.

Kirsty.a said...

ANZAC b Ausrtalia and New Zealand Army Corps, I think

Bernie said...

I live alone and they wouldn't last long in my house either. They look delicious.....:-) Hugs

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Thos look good! I seem to be seeing lots of cookie recipes today!

humel said...

Mmmmmm.... I've done a lot of baking this week already, it's lucky I'm going to Asda tomorrow so I can stock up on flour, sugar etc again!! xx

luci said...

they really wouldn't last long i my house, with or without visitors.

Amy said...

Kirsty is right on the ANZAC front - Australia and New Zealand Army Corps.

Some people use brown sugar for a darker bikkie - depends on what you like and what is in the cupboard of course!

I just had a look at the official War Memorial site's recipe and they use wholemeal flour, powdered milk and a pinch of salt - nothing too yummy so no wonder they lasted a life time ... the modern version makes them palatable!

Anzac biscuits said...

I love Anzac biscuits, too! There's something comforting about these biscuits. That is so sweet for your friend to make some for you.
And your Anzac biscuit recipe is good by the way. I love the addition of dessicated coconut. I'll be trying this one for sure.