Thursday, 20 May 2010

I Have A Question ...

Mel, that busy bee at I Speak Melsh, has set me a challenge. For some strange reason, she would like to know more about me and has set 10 questions for me to answer.

(A self-portrait of me: because I like a post to have a photo)

1. Where in the world did you spend your most memorable day ever, and what did you do? I've been giving this some serious thought and I've come to the conclusion that, my wedding day and the birth of DS notwithstanding, it was when I met my Australian friend for the first time. We had been involved in each other's lives for more than 30 years (our mums were pen-friends), but did not actually meet until Christmas Eve, 2005 in Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia (if you look on a map of Victoria, it's on the left hand end of the Great Ocean Road, 4 hours from Melbourne on the Prince's Highway, 8 hours on the GOR). She turned out to be kind, fun, generous in spirit and absolutely thrilled to finally meet me, which was a little embarrassing! Her greatest claim to fame is that she introduced me to scrapbooking, and for that I'll be forever grateful.

2. What is your favourite time of year, and why? This one is easy ~ early Spring, when the mornings are crisp and cold, there's a promise of blue sky and watery sunshine and the cherry blossom is making its presence felt.

3. What is your favourite time of day, and why? Currently this is bedtime, anywhere between 10-11pm. If I'm lucky, I'll manage a page or two of my latest book before drifting off to the sounds of the Arts program on BBC Radio 2 or something quirky on BBC Radio 4.

4. What food would you find it very hard to do without? Fish & chips from the Chippy, real comfort food and my only real craving when I was pregnant.

5. What colour makes you feel happiest? Pink, without a doubt. I wear it a lot, but am not a particularly girly-girl.

6. What's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to you? (Or the most recent nice thing?) "Ain't no sunshine when you're gone", and I'm not telling you anymore than that!

7. What's the nicest thing you've ever said to anyone else? (Or the most recent nice thing?) I love you.

8. Who would be guest of honour at your dream dinner party? Winston Churchill, the British Prime Minister for most of the Second World War. A lion of a man. He wasn't perfect (show me a man who is), but he led by example and sustained Great Britain and the British people through the long years of darkness, loss and fear.

9. What's your favourite bird? The Robin. Small and delicate, but with a heart of oak.

10. What word or phrase do you find yourself over-using? Take your pick from: No! Stop banging! Put that down!

I believe that I'm now supposed to pass this on, but given that most of my readers will probably have already seen a variation on this theme, I'm opting for the easy route and nominating no-one. Please feel free to answer these questions yourself, post them on your blog and leave me a link so that I can have a nose.

6 comments:

Bernie said...

Love learning more about you my friend.......:-) Hugs

humel said...

Thanks for doing this, Ruth - it's really interesting to get to know you better :-)

Carmelina said...

aw...what a great way to get to know you!

I like spring too...

ciao bella
creative carmelina

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I enjoyed reading this, Ruth, and I'm glad you accepted the challenge.

We share a love for Churchill. I've read book after book about him. He is one of my favorite people ever, and I think he would be first on my dinner party list as well. Americans also like to claim him since his mother was an American by birth. But he really was the man for the hour to save Great Britain. What a hero! I have a book of his quotes, and I like to refer to them when I hit walls that need to be climbed.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Deb said...

What a fun list, Ruth. :o) I love your answer to #10 regarding your current words/phrases. LOL

Ann said...

It's nice to learn more about you. The most-used phrases made me laugh!