Thursday, 10 June 2010

A Post About My Mum ...

... because I can.
DH is away abroad again this week with work, so my mum very kindly offered to come and help out with her beloved grandson. (I don't think she finds helping out with either of her beloved grandsons a chore!) And this is directly after completing 2 weeks of Jury Service, which, to quote mum, she found to be an education.
Every night, before going to bed, I always thank her for all her help that day. She always says the same thing, "Oh, I didn't do anything". And that is just not true.
Here's what she has done this week, in no particular order: cleaned toilets, washed the kitchen floor, read countless stories to DS, helped to bath him, helped me carry the shopping, eaten breakfast at Carluccio's, come with me when I've walked the dog, looked through my family history box and labelled old photos if she could (see photo), made countless cups of tea, hung the washing out, fed the dog, played with DS, done the ironing, bought some new clothes ready for our trip away (more about that soon), supervised DS at teatime while I've nipped out with the pooch, stayed in while I took DS to nursery in case the UPS man came (he didn't) ... I'm sure I've missed a few things.

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavour by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."
~ Washington Irving

6 comments:

humel said...

No, she clearly doesn't do anything.... What a lovely post, Ruth :-)

Bernie said...

This is one of my most favorite post ever.......:-) Hugs

Deb said...

Phew. I'm exhausted just reading that list of activities! You are so lucky to have such a helpul Mom, Ruth. :o) I'm glad you had some extra hands this week.

And the quote at the end is lovely! xo

Ladkyis said...

OH, OH you must tap her for information about your family history NOW. Even if you don't actively research your ancestors please get all those family stories and obscure relationships written down somewhere now. If you ask any FH researcher they will all say "I should have listened more carefully when my mother told her stories." or "There ar so many things my mother knew and now she isn't here I need answers"
You will never get another opportunity.

Heather said...

What a lovely daughter you are! We take our Mums for granted sometimes so its nice to see the balance redressed occasionally :) Thats a beautiful quote too xx

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a blessing to have your mother still with you, and what a blessing you are to appreciate her!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...