Saturday, 10 July 2010

Family History Of The International Kind

Okay, dear readers of my blog, today I'd like to pick your brains in regard to family history.For the Canadians: are there online indexes to search for a birth in in Disley, Saskatchewan? I'm looking for a birth circa 1920/21. My relatives arrived in Montreal in November 1919 as newlyweds and returned home to England in 1922 with their son.
For the Americans: are there online indexes to search for a marriage in New York City in the early 1950s? (I have their wedding photo somewhere, I must dig it out and post it here ~ it's terrific, a perfect snapshot of the early 1950s.) I don't know the maiden name of the bride. I have the death certificates for the husband and wife, and someone has helpfully written "Mary" in the space for maiden name on her certificate. I also know both Social Security numbers, although I can only find his on the online SS death index (hers was gleaned from her death certificate). And on the subject of Social Security numbers, when are they issued? Are they like British National Insurance numbers and issued around the age of 16? Do you have to be a US citizen to have a Social Security number? Any advice or help or information would be very gratefully received.

Isn't this photo fantastic? My brother found it years ago behind a painting my Grandad had done.
Sadly, there aren't any details recorded on it and it's in a sorry state around the edges. However, after a process of elimination, we decided that the girl playing with her necklace is my Grandmother (we all have clear memories of that being a habit of hers, in her later life she always wore a large-ish solid gold cross), the 2 other children are her younger siblings and the lady is their mother, none other than Emily Pink. Given that her sister was born in 1920, the photo must be around 1924.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

What an absolute treasure to have found. Good luck on your family history search.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a treasure, Ruth!

I am going to try and see if I can find out some answers for you on the American end. I'm copying this and will email if I do.

XO,

Sheila :-)

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I can answer the SS# questions. You do have to be a citizen to get them. Now they are issued at birth (if you want to claim the child as a tax deduction) but when I was child they were not.(law changed in the late 1980s I think) I had to get a SS# when I was 13 (1980) because I started working a 'real job' then. You didn't need one unless you were working & getting taxes & social security money taken from your paycheck. But you could get one before that. DH got one when he was born in 1965. They started being issued in the 1930s.

Bernie said...

In Canada Social Security Numbers are issued at birth....you can get a lot of information if you have this number plus a name, a birthdate would help. I think if you go under Government of Sask. and click on Birth or even Death records you will learn more, or at least they may guide you where you need to go.
Good Luck......:-) Hugs

Amy said...

What??? None of the Pinks were in Australia ..... now I'm very disappointed ;-)

Good luck Ruth - it is quite a task you are taking on, but very interesting I'm sure. That is a wonderful photo - I love how you can work out who some of the people are by observing traits in later life :-)

Kirsty.a said...

aLL MY FAMILY HISTORY RESEARCH IS FCUSSED N THE uk, SO i CAN'T HELP, BUT i LVE THIS PHOTO. i AM SCRAPPING MY ANCESTRAL PHOTOS IN THEIR OWN ALBUM, WITH THE FAMILY TREE AND ANY DOCUMENTS I HAVE, SO IT IS ALL TOGETHER.

Deb said...

:o) Fun post, Ruth. Stacey has answered your question about SS#'s very well...so I'll just tell you that the photo is FABULOUS! The clothing, the composition, the expressions...is awesome! xo

humel said...

This is fascinating :-) I just came by some photos of a few of The Doctor's ancestors this week - family history can be so interesting and absorbing! Good luck with your search xx

Sian said...

What fascinating photos! And yet another use for the blogging world. Brilliant.