Wednesday, 25 August 2010

An Ode To Rain

So much rain, so much life like the swollen sky
of this black August. My sister, the sun,
broods in her yellow room and won't come out.

Everything goest to hell; the mountains fume
like a kettle, rivers overrun; still,
she will not rise and turn off the rain.

I saw both the lines of the poem and the stunning photo on my sister-in-law's blog this morning and thought I'd share them with you. The photo was taken by my talented brother, although my SIL is just as talented with a camera ... apparently she was in the bathroom when this photo opportunity showed itself.

(The poem is Dark August by Derek Walcott.)

7 comments:

Liz said...

Well done Bro. It's a fab picture.

humel said...

Wow - stunning photo, and great poem - thanks for sharing :-)

debs14 said...

Wow, beautiful photo and the poem fits perfectly. I do wish that sun would come out of its yellow room soon, I'm fed up with rain!

Deb said...

Ruth ~ This is a beautiful post! From the poem to the photo...I love it! xo

Sian said...

Fabulous photo. We have sun peeping through here today - but it's the last day of the holidays so we are dashing out to make the best of it.

Lovely poem, too.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

wonderful photo!

Martha said...

Gorgeous photo and delightful poem.
Sigh, no rain here since April and none expected until December.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...