Sunday, 31 October 2010

Trick Or Treat?

DS had his first invitation to a Halloween party this year.  Halloween isn't something that I've paid much attention to in previous years; I'm not even sure that I like it.  The invitation stated that the children should be in costume but, given that DS has been poorly this week and that the venue was outside, I opted to put him in a glow-in-the-dark t-shirt over lots of layers.  There was also a 'naughty' pirate mask, but that didn't stay in place for very long.
My friend's eldest daughter was the perfect hostess-with-the-mostest and looked amazing in her witch costume, which had been rustled up by her talented mummy.
Our contribution to the party was a fresh batch of Oatmeal & Cranberry cookies.  I was able to find a suitably themed cake box and I used the free 'Boo' download from Ali Edwards to make a tag and embellished it with orange ribbons and the plastic spider sent to DS by Deb with the Hershey's Candy Corn Kisses.
And you know what?  DS hated it.  He hated the darkness.  He hated being not allowed into my friend's house (long story as to why not).  He hated that the garden was chocca-block full.  He hated that Daddy had stayed at home (DH's turn to be unwell today).
There's always next year ... but it's fine with me, son, if you never like Halloween.

11 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Happy Halloween Ruth Sweetie...
Oh, I am so sad that DS hated his first party. Maybe if it had been held indoors he would have liked it better. Sometimes it is scary for the little ones with the costumes, and then being outside too. Bless his little heart.

Maybe next year you can host a party at your home, indoors with a few of his little friends, and make it not so scary for him, until he gets used to it all. He is still little after all.

I love the box you decorated for the cookies. It turned out so CUTE and the spider is the best of all. Love it and I could smell those wonderful oatmeal and cranberry cookies as soon as I opened the page. Love it.

Many hugs sweetie and so much love, Sherry

humel said...

Great photos - but I'm sorry he didn't have a very good time. I know what you mean about feeling ambivalent re Hallowe'en, though xx

Riet said...

Lovely pictures and maybe he will like Halloween next year

Bernie said...

I don't like Halloween either, it is my least favorite holiday. (Wonder if I was like DS at his age).....:-) Hugs

debs14 said...

What a shame he didn't have fun. It's probably because it was dark and creepy and everyone was in costume. Maybe it was all a bit too much for him, but I bet in a few years time he will be totally different and enjoy all the gruesomeness!

Liz said...

Poor H. It was probably too much at once. He's not used to being out with lots of people in the dark.......outside!!!
Don't worry he'll decide in his own time. Your DN didn't like masks or face paint till he was about 8 or 9. Then there was no stopping him. Love to all xxx

Lulu said...

Sorry to hear DH is unwell and DS didn't enjoy the party :( We moved into this house on Halloween last year and had nothing to offer so I promised to do something this year. Despite our reservations about the holiday, we dressed the front door and the 'smalls' wore their costumes to greet the Trick or Treaters when they knocked...over all a success and the smalls had fun. However, I don't think I will be taking my 2 around the town; a party at home is about as far as I'd go - Halloween shouldn't be about going around 'begging' for sweets should it?

Sian said...

I can completely understand his reluctance! We had one here who hated the dark and one who hated loud bangs, so firework displays were a no go. Maybe when he's a bit bigger..

Liberty :) said...

ahh bless him! love your craftyness though! i love ali's BOO!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Sorry he didn't enjoy the party. My kids don't enjoy them much either, they prefer the door to door trick or treating.

furrypig said...

Wishing everyone in your home back to wellness. We had a great Halloween, we have celebrated it since we moved to Surrey and the kids love it. So sorry your DS didn't enjoy it, but next year will probably be different. Love the cookies xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...