Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Major Richard 'Dick' Winters


I learned yesterday of the death at 92 of Major Richard 'Dick' Winters. He was an ordinary man who had the misfortune to live through extraordinary times. His story came to be known to a global audience a few years ago, when the American TV channel HBO produced a series called Band of Brothers, in collaboration with Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks; this series ranks in my top 3 of TV series ever.

The British actor Damien Lewis portrayed Lewis in the series and he gave this tribute:

 It's a sad day today. Major Richard Winters, without question one of the great heroes of World War 2, has died. His story, and those of the men of Easy Company came to prominence through the extraordinary HBO series, Band of Brothers. I was honoured to have played, no, represent him on the screen. He was unstinting in his support of the project and of me. He welcomed me to his house in Hershey, introduced me to his loving wife, Ethel, and constantly exhorted me to "Hang Tough!" He has died quietly, in private, without fanfare, with the same modesty that he lived his life as one of the most celebrated soldiers of his generation. I will miss him and I thank him."

If you have never seen Band of Brothers, I urge you to do so.  Never have Shakespeare's words been more fitting:   From this day to the ending of the world,  but we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.

3 comments:

Heather said...

What a lovely tribute Ruth. The series shall always be on my top 10 best TV ever. I haven't seen it for a few years so maybe its about time I borrowed the boxset from my Dad. Damien Lewis was brilliant wasn't he - still is actually!! It was quite a shock to realise he wasn't an American himself as his accent was very true to life. Thanks for sharing this xx

Amy said...

The series is an absolute favourite of The Engineers but the Pacific version was not quite as good in his opinion - much to his disappointment ... I have to say, sometimes the reality is too much for me, but that is the fact of the situation and the mark of a good program.

humel said...

Thanks for sharing this, Ruth. A lovely tribute indeed xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...