Monday, 10 January 2011

Self-Paced Learning

My brother and SIL sent DS a "laptop" for his birthday and he loves it.
It seems that it is capable of all sorts of whizzy things.  There will be plenty for DS and I to discover together.
DS explored what it had to offer for a large proportion of this afternoon and I wasn't surprised to learn that the music programs are the ones he liked best.  (Remember, this is the boy who dances and sings around the kitchen whenever he hears Human by The Killers on the radio.)
Over the last couple of years, I've also realised that DS likes to discover and learn new things in his own time and in his own way.  He doesn't necessarily want me to help him at every stage; if he wants help, he asks me.  He might not play and learn the same way others his age do, but it's okay.
I think that DS and I are on a learning curve together. 

5 comments:

Bernie said...

DS is adorable and you are a wonderful mother letting him learn on his terms, and yes you will learn so much from him Ruth.
What a lovely gift from your brother and his wife, very thoughtful.......:-)Hugs

♥♥ Liz ♥♥ said...

Remember your DN and his first "Compootit"? H will have to bring it with him when he comes and he can show Samuel how it works!!

debs14 said...

Think that is a bit of a 'boy' trait! My daughter used to want me there every step of the way, but my son was very independant and I had to learn to wait for him to ask for help before I offered it! DS looks totally engrossed, what a great present!

Barbara said...

So glad he likes it Ruth, he looks totally engrossed :O)

humel said...

What a perfect gift for him :-) (The Girl likes to figure things out for herself, too!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...