Monday, 14 February 2011

Association Of Ideas

Today, according to all retailers, the Western World has been busy celebrating romantic love.  I've never been a huge fan of Valentine's Day ~ too many years of suffering co-workers who were all loved up when I was resolutely single, I suppose!  Mind you, it's very nice that DH likes to make a fuss, so I'm not really complaining.
But, let's not forget all the other types of love ~ the love for children, family and friends.  The page you can see on the left is something I've been working on for the last week or so and it celebrates the love I have for my brother-in-law; I deliberately chose a photo of last week's Shepherd's Pie as the illustration. 
You see, for the last 15 years or so, I have associated Shepherd's Pie with the day my Dad died.  Working through the Yesterday & Today class has taught me to look at my memories differently.  I can now look at the photo of the Shepherd's Pie and think about the moment my BIL became part of our family.
My BIL is a pretty amazing guy, and not only because he loves my sister and nephew.  He'll be embarrassed to know I've made a page about him, but I hope he appreciates the sentiment behind it.
The reverse of this 6x12 page has a photo of him at my wedding.  He put himself in to a position he never imagined he'd be in and all because I asked him to ~ he gave me away, a stand-in dad, if you will, and subsequently made a moving speech to over 120 people.

And paraphrasing The Hollies: It's a long, long road, from which there is no return.  While we're on the way to there, why not share?  And the load doesn't way me down at all.  He ain't heavy - he's my brother.

4 comments:

Sandie said...

That is so lovely, Ruth. Your brother in law will be really moved when he learns about your page and thoughts about him.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh how lovely, Ruth. It's awesome that you have such a great relationship with your brother-in-law, and it's very touching that you would honor him with this layout. I'm sure he'll love it!

Amy said...

After intially thinking this would not be the sort of class that I would like, I can see that I am very wrong - I love the stories you have been able to tell in these pages and from the class prompts, excellent thoughts to have down on paper!

Sian said...

I LOVE the fact that this has helped you to change around the feelings associated with something. What an uplifting post today Ruth.