Sunday, 6 February 2011

Storytelling Sunday

This week, I thought it might be fun to take part in Sian's Storytelling Sunday series.  As previously mentioned here, I've been looking back a lot lately and laughing at photos from 30 years or more ago ~ all down to the Yesterday & Today class I'm taking with Ali Edwards at BPC.
I belong to a family fortunate enough to have lived in the Far East, Hong Kong to be precise, in the early 1970s.  I think most of my memories are probably inherited ones, but I have enough that are mine and mine alone.  I also have the HK album my parents sent to my paternal grandparents and I love looking at us all caught in a time-warp for eternity.
I digress.  What's my story?
Before I was married, I worked in secondary education and one of the pupils I knew well was Hong Kong Chinese.  She was thrilled when I mentioned that I'd lived in HK as a child and asked if I had any photos she could look at.  Along with some others, I showed her the above photo. 
She giggled and said, "You know, Miss J., you haven't really changed that much, have you?"
"What on earth do you mean?" I asked.
"Well, you're still slim and your hair is still dark brown ..."
"You muppet, E, that's my mum!  That's me, there!  The small chubby one."
"Oh," said E.
" Just how old do you think I am, E?  On second thoughts, don't answer that!"

Why not pop on over to Sian's blog to see what other stories are being shared today?  You could even join in ...
Happy Sunday.

16 comments:

Mum said...

Those two small persons, frozen in time remind me of the present younger generation!

furrypig said...

how great to have all those memories now.. do you make scrapbook layouts with many of your older photos? I recently got some older pics from my parents and want to something with them!

Jimjams said...

Cute photo & a lovely story!

humel said...

lol!! Though it's true that the family resemblance is very strong, we've noticed that before :-)

Denise said...

Lovely story and isn't it great to look back at those photos ? x

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hahaha...cute story, Ruth. :o) I noticed right away how much you look like your mom, and there's that striking resemblance of you and your DS right now.

Sian said...

lol! The first thing I noticed about this photo was the striking resemblance (and then what a cute photo it is!) That's a really nice story and well worth preserving. Love it!

Thank for joining Storytelling Sunday, it's much appreciated.

scrappyjacky said...

A lovely story.....but you do look very like your mum!

Sandie said...

Others have said it before me.. there is a strong family resemblance!
Your story made me smile.
So many people are now taking photos with polaroid or aged effect that it will be hard to tell in years to come when they were taken.

debs14 said...

Isn't it funny how kids can't imagine adults ever being young themselves? It's as if they think we were born grown up!

{Lynn - that's me!} said...

What a sweet story - love how you connected with your student through the photograph you have. It is true that we all become our mothers...lol

Thanks for sharing your story.

Bernie said...

You totally look like your mum Ruth, beautiful.....:-)Hugs

Cheryl said...

Aww cute what a lovely story and such a cute picture. Thanks for sharing x

Maria Ontiveros said...

Cute story and great picture. It looks like Victoria Peak.
Rinda

Gail T said...

LOL - that's cute!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...