Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Design Your Life: Week 5

This week, it's all about space.  White space, to be more accurate.  You know, when I began scrapbooking and I heard people refer to white space, I had no idea what they were talking about and I was far too embarrassed to ask.  Luckily, my sister knew what it was and put me out of my misery.
Cathy reckons that "less is different" and that white space is "a seriously fabulous weapon in a scrapbooker's pocket of wow."  Yes, really.
I don't know.  I'm not yet converted, although I do like how this finished LO looks.
What about you?  Are you a less-is-more kind of scrapper?
And I'm always open to suggestions for better ways to photograph a 12x12 LO ...

7 comments:

cate said...

I love white space! although a little piece of me wonders if I'm finding Cathy's style a little too... austere... these days... but I think you're doing a great job with the class layouts!

Sian said...

I love using white space, but then I load up the bits of the page I do use!

I can't photograph layouts striaght when I hang over them, I know that. That's why mine are usually propped up

Cheri said...

I have trouble putting the concept of white space into action. It feels odd to me. But I'm still working on it!

Ladkyis said...

I definitely go along with the importance of white space. I think that embellishment must be appropriate to the picture and the journalling and if I can't get it exact I will do without. I also think I am a lazy scrapper so that's why my pages have loads of white space - that and my editorial experience

humel said...

I do love white space :-) I also love lots and lots of detail, *sigh!!* I think some of my favourite layouts have been those with clusters of detail and still white space around the page.....

This is lovely, this works for me :-) Sometimes having Thickers or similar for the title is enough extra embellishment.

I think maybe I don't know my own mind lol! Or I don't have a definite, firm 'style'?!

Amy said...

I am certainly a big fan of white space and all things CZ advocates regarding design. What I found really instructional with this class was how she showed to add embellishments into an area so that white space is still visible and yet the layout is not cluttered - I still struggle with embellishments and I dare say I will until the day I hang up my scrapping tools!

Heather said...

I love white space but occasionally a LO demands more & I can get away with loading up the embellishments.
I use a small easel to prop my LOs up or sometimes I lay them flat on the floor & shoot them from above. I always crop the photo too!!