Friday, 22 July 2011

School's Out For Summer

So that's it.  DS has finished his year at Nursery School and as of September, he will be a fully-fledged School Boy.  In the meantime, we now have about 6 weeks to fill.
~ no more walking past the allotments twice a day ~
In the best traditions of mums with school-age children, I made a list.  And you know what?  This list makes me smile.
Because it's exactly the sort of list we'd have had when I was little, albeit a different city, a different river and a different zoo.  I've realised that in attempting to make the memories that DS will have, I'm giving him the exact kind of childhood I'd had.  Last night, DH asked how the list was coming along and offered up a few suggestions ~ everything he mentioned, bar one, was already on the list.  Looks as though that's the two of us giving DS the sort of childhood we both had. 
And it doesn't get any better than that.  Apart from the scrapbooking opportunities, obviously.
(Oh, and did you notice that I've written down National instead of Natural?)



10 comments:

alexa said...

Looks like a great list - for those of us living elsewhere, this would have been a heaven of opportunity and interest! Hope you enjoy the six weeks ...

Robyn said...

What are allotments?

Sounds like a great summer ahead!

Sandra said...

Sounds like it's going to be a fun summer :)

Ladkyis said...

~holds up her hand and admits that she saw National~
Because we lived three miles outside Raglan when my children were growing up most of our days were filled with visitors who brought their children out to the "country" to play. We had a lot of castles very close so my firend and I would take our five children so they could learn a bit while playing

Amy said...

For the first time, these last holidays I encouraged The Eight Year Old to make our list - it was great and the children loved ticking off things as we went! Enjoy the holidays Ruth - so much changes once they start big school!

Sandie said...

What a lovely list, Ruth. Life will change somewhat come September, so enjoy the summer together.
My granddaughter starts school then too.

debs14 said...

Ah yes, the long summer holidays when you are trying to fill the days full of fun! I always found that it took my two a good part of the first week to just wind down from 'end of term' and then we gradually got into a nice relaxed routine. I think we managed to see a lot of the places on your list too! All great places to go and I know you and your husband will enjoy visiting them as much as your son!

Sian said...

It definitely doesn't get any better than that! We had some sad times as children in our family, and it does make me happy to think that my kids have got past the age we were then without the same things happening to them. Hurray for happy childhood memories!

I hope you have a great summer

Lizzie said...

That is a great list! All the stuff we'd love to do with our six weeks too!
I think it's definitely time we visited a zoo again... we haven't been to the zoo for about 3 or 4 years (!).
I hope my DS has some good memories from his school holidays. And we have a whole 6 weeks now, to make some more!
Have a great summer break - enjoy ticking off the List!

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

:o) A new milestone...makes me feel sentimental for you, Ruth. Enjoy your summer and getting your DS ready for "real school." xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...