Friday, 14 October 2011

On Being British

Tomorrow morning, UK time, Wales will pay France in the semi-finals of the Rugby World Cup.  For rugby fans across the UK, we will be, for 80 minutes at any rate, Welsh.
And that got me thinking.  I am British.  That is what I tell people when asked my nationality.  I am a British citizen.  I hold a British passport, albeit in the colour of the European Union and not the much loved dark blue of yesteryear.  But looking at my family tree tells me I'm hybrid British ~ a good mix of Irish and Welsh thanks to grandparents and great grandparents, along side my English parents.  My nephew says he's Scottish.
Rydyn ni gyd Gymry nawr*

What about you?  If you live in the UK, how do you describe yourself?  If you live elsewhere, why not share your views on nationality.
(* We are all Welsh now)

7 comments:

Ladkyis said...

I can only be British even though I was born in Wales because in my ancestry I have Welsh speaking Welsh, English from Sussex Scots from Ayrshire, Northern Irish, Southern Irish, Ashkenasi and Sephardi Jewish and.... that's about it so far although I haven't gone back much before 1740 with any of the lines.

Rhona said...

I was born in Scotland, and believe I have Irish great grandparents in the mix somewhere but grew up in South Africa and now live in England. xx

Alison said...

I always identify myself as Scottish!
Alison xx

jo said...

I can still remember the words to Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau fro my schooldays and will be cheering the boys on - although by 8.30am Andy will be down the pub to watch the game!!

Amy said...

Fourth generation Australian, with one side entirely Irish ancestry and the other a mix of Scottish-Irish and Irish-German. Before you ask, no convicts, not a single one we can find .. a bit disappointing really! ;-)

humel said...

That's a really interesting question :) I'm a quarter Welsh on my mother's side and I have Irish heritage on my father's side, but I always identify myself as English rather than British....

Sian said...

I'm a bit of everything, including (so they say) a French captain captured during the Napoleonic wars and held prisoner in Wales

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...