Sunday, 6 November 2011

Storytelling Sunday

It's the 1st Sunday of the month so that means it's time to hope over to Sian's for a warm welcome and plenty of stories to peruse.
This month, my story is about friendship across the miles and how it's still possible to think the same thing at the same time.
You will know, I'm sure, that Sian is an extremely talented scrapbooker and has been chosen to join the design team of the new and eagerly awaited Scrap365 magazine.  If I lived closer to her, I'd have asked her out for a glass of bubbly to celebrate her fantastic news.  But I don't and couldn't.  Instead, I sent her a postcard of a famous pub to tell her I was thrilled for her and that I was raising a metaphorical glass to her success.
The evening of the day the postcard arrived, Sian sent me an email:
 Dear, dear Ruth,
True Story:
9.00 am. Clanking noise coming from our utility room.
The Tall One: Dad, what are you doing in there?
The Accountant: Sorting out your mother’s empties for the recycling
Sian: Oh, hah ha very funny. It’s actually mostly jam jars
TTO: True, X and Y haven’t been round in a while. You need a new drinking buddy Mum
Sian: Mmm..maybe Ruth will come back soon...
11.00 am. Post comes through the letterbox
TTO: Mum, you’ve got a postcard from Ruth with a picture of a pub on the front!
I swear, this is exactly what happened. So it just goes to show that great minds think alike; and great friends are great friends – even if they aren’t just round the corner. So thank you, thank you. And cheers!!
So there you have it.
The miles don't count between friends. 
Happy Mail is always happy mail, whether it be delivered by the Postie or through cyber space
And my next trip to Sian's city is in the planning.  We'll be having that drink face-to-face, that's for sure.

17 comments:

Amy said...

My goodness, who would have thought - that is just so funny! When you get together for that drink I'll raise my glass too! :-) Shhhh, I just might be having one right now .......

debs14 said...

When I read Amy's comment I thought "drinking? at 9 o'clock in the morning?" then I realised she doesn't live in the UK and it's already evening where she is! OK Amy, your reputation is still intact ;-)
Lovely story and what a coincidence that your pub postcard arrived just as the bottles were being sorted!

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

Ha! I thought exactly the same as you Debs, just for a second!
That is so funny Ruth and what you say about friends is absolutely true :o)

Scribble Monster said...

Great story, I love it :) Here's to you getting that drink together soon :)

Lynn said...

Great story and I think we will all join you in raising a glass to Sians success.

Miriam said...

I love coincidences like that, what a great story and cheers to the both of you x

Sian said...

Ha! This has definitely put a huge smile on my face this morning! And thank you for the card, the retelling of the story, and the offer of a celebratory drink too of course! Er, apart from that I'm a bit lost for words. So make the most of it while you can...x

Wanda said...

Shared stories are the best ones, and you've hit the jackpot with this one!

Cheri said...

you have to love serendipity!

Alison said...

Great story Ruth..hope you get for that drink soon!
Alison xx

Jane said...

what a great story!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That is such a fun story, Ruth! Loved every word and the picture of you girls.

XO,

Sheila

Jimjams said...

Serendipity - I love that word - brought to life. Cheers to a great little story!

heart.hearth.home. said...

That's a lovely story Ruth. It would seem you have just the perfect instinct for knowing when to let someone know you are thinking of them. A very good friend indeed. Enjoy your next visit with Sian. Irene

furrypig said...

I agree all mail is good mail and how perfectly timed was that postcard!! Enjoy your reunion xxx

Becky said...

A great story and I hope you have a wonderful reunion very soon x

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

:o)!!! I love everything about this story, Ruth. The connection between you and Sian, the serendipity of your pub card arriving, and the awesome friendship between you. xo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...