Wednesday, 23 May 2012

31 Things: Day 7

Day 7 of Ali's latest class at BPC ~ 31 Things.  Ali describes the class thus: 31 Things is about capturing life right now but will be much more in-depth on a single daily subject than the documentation you might be used to with projects like Week in the Life or Project Life. This workshop is an opportunity to get specific pieces of your story told with the simple goal of telling more.  
Day 7| Work:
My work life is split in to two unequal parts.  
My prime role is as a stay-at-home-mum.  My secondary role is as a part-time Office Manager for The Brainy One's company.  It occupies just a few hours a week and the hours are flexible.  I have an excellent boss.
An advert in The Lady for my work life might look something like this ...
   HOUSEMANAGER
required for family home in suburban London.
  Duties to include cleaning (with additional outside help 2 hours a week), washing, ironing,
 general housekeeping, child care (inclusive of AM & PM school runs, PTA and general school volunteer), dog walking, menu planning, grocery shopping, cooking and any other duties as required.
Additional opportunity for part-time administration role in family business; hours to fit in with primary role.
Candidates must have experience in a similar situation, 
and
 have very high standards and an extraordinary eye for detail. 
 Should be a non-smoker and love children and animals.
  7 days per week. 
Holidays to be taken in conjunction with family. 
Salary negligible, but rewards include limitless love, hugs and kisses.
Must have excellent references. 


What do you think?  Can't imagine many applications ...
As a child, I wanted to be a nurse, possibly influenced by the BBC series Angels from the 1970s. But as I got older, a distinct lack of understanding of the sciences and a realisation about just how poorly paid nurses were put me off that ambition.  By my mid-teens I knew that I wanted to join the Royal Air Force.  And I did just that, experiencing the most amazing things and meeting the most wonderful people along the way.  I fell in to my second career by chance, thanks to The Lady magazine; in the late 1990s I became a Housemistress in a girl's boarding school.  The hours were long and unsociable, but I loved it.  I gave it up on marriage, as the two were sadly not compatible.
I like how my 'working' day pans out these days.  Being organised helps, as does being happy with your own company.  I love being at home.  So much so, that I may never ever venture back in to the world of working outside the home ever again.

7 comments:

Carol Anne said...

I love your job advert. It would be hard to replace you! Thanks for sharing.

Kirsty.a said...

Great job ad. Interesting to hear about your pre-family careers

Jo.C said...

Brilliant way of interpreting the prompt. In the past have never wanted to be a SAHM but at the moment it seems like the most wonderful thing in the world and I am very jealous.Shame mine is nearly grown :0)

Rhona said...

I never realised you'd been a housemistress, I guess I thought you'd been in the RAF until you got married. Loved the ad :) x

Amy said...

I used to think similarly to you Ruth about staying at home, but, having returned to out of the home work for a few hours each week, I have to say, it is fantastic!


It is a busy life, that of a stay at home Mum, you seem to do marvellously well!

Alison said...

I hadn't realised you were in the Forces in your 'previous' life, Ruth...your Job Description made me laugh!
Alison xx

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Great job description. Housemistress sounds really interesting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...