Friday, 25 May 2012

Photo a Day: 25th May

Not necessarily a boring task, more of a routine one.
When the weather is good, I like to get the washing out on the line as early as possible and to do multiple loads.
When I was a child, my dad, in the winter months, used to refer to the clothes airer as the lodger.  As in, it was always there, lurking in the corner of the back room.
He also used to call the airer a maiden, as in maiden aunt who never knew when to go home.  Just thought I'd share that with you.

10 comments:

KathiJo said...

I never knew why it was called a 'maiden' .. thank you! x

Kristina said...

I find getting thousands of socks on the line really boring. If I can do it outside it's better. You've got some lovely flower next to your line.

kim said...

I didn't know that either! I love to get the washing on the line but didn't get the washing done today unfortunately!

Jennie Hart said...

I shall definitely refer to the airer as a maiden and the laundry basket as a lodger :)

Helen said...

snap :) you have a lovely garden too.

Kirsty.a said...

Nice to know

viv said...

We aways called the airer the maiden but I never new why.

Amy said...

Both the lodger and the maiden have taken residence here, much to my dismay!

Alison said...

We call the airer a 'clothes horse' and I have a friend who calls it a 'winterdykes'!
Alison xx

♥♥ Liz ♥♥ said...

It's the maiden here too and it now lives in the spare room as I got sick of seeing it in the kitchen!! It's been great to get the washing out on the line these past few days xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...