Saturday, 2 June 2012

31 Things: Day 16

Day 16 of Ali's latest class at BPC ~ 31 Things.  Ali describes the class thus: 31 Things is about capturing life right now but will be much more in-depth on a single daily subject than the documentation you might be used to with projects like Week in the Life or Project Life. This workshop is an opportunity to get specific pieces of your story told with the simple goal of telling more.    
Day 16| Uniform:
Jeans, scoop neck t-shirts and cardigans.  That's been my uniform most days since The Boy Child was born.  Jeans are boot leg and from wherever catches my eye.  Currently I am wearing jeans from Monsoon.  T-shirts are bought in bulk from M&S and are usually white and pastel colours.  This year I am experimenting with stripes.  Cardigans also come from M&S, even though the sleeves tend to be a little on the short side.  As it goes, I prefer to push sleeves up towards my elbows anyway.
In the warmer weather I wear skirts and 3/4 length trousers.
I am also wearing dresses this year.  I like the whole throw-it-on-and-you're-done thing. 
Because I walk most places, I always need a jacket or coat.  I have a pool of around five that I rotate throughout the year:
~ chocolate brown padded gilet from Joules, perfect for spring and autumn days
~ chocolate brown velvet blazer from Burberry (bought in an outlet store).  I've had it for about 10 years, the cuffs are frayed and the velvet under the collar is a different colour to the rest of the jacket.  It's another spring and autumn staple.
~ lightly padded bum length jacket from Joules, in both chocolate brown and navy blue.  Although they look incredibly thin, they are amazingly warm and see me through the winter months.
~ pink/purpley check lightweight car coat from Next in a retro 1960s style.  It's about eight years old and the lining is torn, but it works well with boots in late spring and early autumn.
~ ankle length black velvet swing-style coat.  It's perfect for evenings out in autumn and winter, ideal over a long dress and when the wearer in nine months pregnant in December.  It's about fifteen years old, came from Wallis and cost £133.33.  Goodness knows why I remember the cost.
I'm too old for most High Street chains and tend to shop at Monsoon, Next, FatFace and M&S.  It's true to say that I've never been trendy, that I've had my fair share of fashion faux pas and that now, as I approach my mid 40s, I seem to have found a sense of style that works for me.
I hope.
          

7 comments:

Alison said...

I've never heard of Fatface...I've been away from the UK too long!
Alison xx

debs14 said...

Seems like we have the same taste in clothing shops! I also like White Stuff and have a fair few of their tunics which you can wear over jeans, leggings or opaque tights.
Love the bunting in the background!

Carrie Rosalind said...

You are doing so well with keeping up with these prompts! I have been doing them here and there, but I am impressed with you and love seeing yours here every day.

Amy said...

Oh, I agree with Carrie, I love seeing your entries Ruth!

Karen said...

I think that once you find a style that you like and it likes you then it is best to stick with it. I love all the bunting in your garden.

Sian said...

A warm coat becomes such an essential when you are waiting outside the school gate! At leats, that has always been my excuse for buying a new one. I like coats too

♥♥ Liz ♥♥ said...

Your uniform sound like mine. Never really been "Into" fashion and the stuff nowadays I wouldn't give houseroom!! Wonder where you buy crimpoline from??????