Sunday, 10 June 2012

31 Things: Day 23

Day 23 of Ali's latest class at BPC ~ 31 Things.  Ali describes the class thus: 31 Things is about capturing life right now but will be much more in-depth on a single daily subject than the documentation you might be used to with projects like Week in the Life or Project Life. This workshop is an opportunity to get specific pieces of your story told with the simple goal of telling more.    
Day 23 | Write:
In the days before instant communication (I'm discounting the telephone here), I used to write letters.  I had several pen friends who were scattered around the globe. 
I left home in my teens, armed with a writing pad and a book of stamps.  I wrote regularly to my parents, less regularly to my sister. 
I can write a good formal letter; those years of service writing haven't gone to waste.  I used to be asked by friends to draft their difficult letters, especially if it was to their bank manager. 
However, when I was at school, I found English Language lessons frustrating. I never seemed to be on the same wavelength as the teacher.  But I did learn to write neatly with a fountain pen.  I've never seriously kept a diary, but I admire those who do.  I have several letters from ex-boyfriends.  I have a much treasured letter from my dad (written when my mum was ill).  I have a letter from my mum, written after The Brainy One and I told her we were getting married.  I've written letters to my nephew, annually on his birthday, but I've never given them to him.  I have never written to The Brainy One or The Boy Child; I write to them in my scrapbook pages.
Starting my blog in 2008 has helped enormously with the construction of my written words.  I tend to write exactly how I might say something and that doesn't always help the prose to flow.  I look at the format of blogs I read and admire and work on my composition.  I write and rewrite drafts.
Part of the reasoning behind my Happy Mail 2012 project was to get me to put pen to paper.  A few words on a postcard is a two way street ~ hopefully the recipient is cheered and I get to connect with someone through the medium that is pen and paper.
What used to be Basildon Bond and any old Biro has evolved in to quality stationery and an ink roller pen in black. 
I like to see handwritten words.  They matter.  They make a difference.   

6 comments:

heart.hearth.home. said...

This is an interesting post, Ruth. I agree, handwriting really does matter. Some of my most precious possessions are letters and cards written by friends and family in the past. When I was watching an episode of Poirot recently with my younger daughter, Zoe Wanamaker's character said 'Who would travel without ink?' It reminded me that I used a fountain pen and ink up until about 5 years ago. I may go and retrieve it!
I have been enjoying your 31 Things postings; being away from home, I haven't always managed to comment. Sorry.

Alison said...

I had forgotten how much I actually enjoyed writing, until I started blogging. Like you, I write drafts of most of my journalling,partly because I love actually putting pen to paper...another great post Ruth!
Alison xx

Rhona said...

Another wonderful post Ruth. I always admire the way you write and I'm impressed that you write out drafts of your blog posts! I'm not very good at writing now though I used to also have a few pen friends when I was young. My writing used to be quite neat but I find now, doing so much on the computer, I don't write very often and my writing has definitely got worse! Looking forward to reading the remaining posts in this series but will miss them when they end
xx

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I enjoy writing with a pen on paper. I use a fountain pen to write in my 5 year diary every night and I take notes all day long with the same Cross ball point pen I got for high school graduation.

Amy said...

When TE was writing his thesis, and I was proof reading, I commented at how difficult it must be to write straight onto the computer. Funnily enough, I now write quicker and more easily exactly like that, straight onto the computer.

Sian said...

I have a journalist friend who says I need to learn to "compose on the keyboard" No chance. I can't write unless I have a pencil in my hand. Plus I'm the world's slowest typist, so I go faster when I scribble! An interesting post.