Wednesday, 13 June 2012

31 Things: Day 27

Day 27 of Ali's latest class at BPC ~ 31 Things.  Ali describes the class thus: 31 Things is about capturing life right now but will be much more in-depth on a single daily subject than the documentation you might be used to with projects like Week in the Life or Project Life. This workshop is an opportunity to get specific pieces of your story told with the simple goal of telling more.     
Day 27 | Hobby:
Scrapbooking is the hobby I didn't know I was looking for.
On honeymoon in Australia in December 2005, we visited the X family*.  K showed me a scrapbook about her brother S's life and I was blown away by it.  The next destination on our trip was New Zealand, where D gave me a 12x12 album from Creative Memories.  I don't think it could have been any more obvious that I was supposed to start scrapbooking.
And it turns out that scrapbooking and I are having a love affair.  One that I hope will never end. 
Scrapbooking is a daily part of my life now.  I make pages for various albums, I work on project Life, I take online classes, I make mini-books.  I've had a page published in a magazine.  I've attended several weekend workshops and met wonderful people along the way.
I always made scrapbooks when I was a child ~ an A4 album for the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977, a mini-book of our family holiday to Belgium in 1981 ~ I just didn't know it was a proper hobby.
The hobby that I would love to have is dancing.
When I worked at The Royal Ballet School, I used to think I should take up ballet.  How hard could it be?  I mean, I saw children do it every day.  When I started watching Strictly Come Dancing (nine months pregnant and beached on the sofa), I thought, "I could do that".
Every new year since then I have made learning to dance part of my New Year resolutions.
I still haven't done anything about it.
* My family has known the X family since 1974, when the mums became pen friends.  Sadly, Mrs X died just 6 months after my dad, without ever having the opportunity to meet my mum.  S died in a car accident a few years after his mum's death.  He was 21.
When we knew that we would be visiting Australia, I knew that there was no way I could go all that way and not meet them. 

3 comments:

Sian said...

That is the best scrapbooking slogan I have ever heard! You should trademark it before someone else does :)

Ladkyis said...

I agree with Sian. What a wonderful post - the bit where you said that you scrapbooked as a kid for the sliver Jubilee made me realise how old I am but I forgive you LOL

Sandie said...

Wow! Look at that collection of albums.. you have been busy Ruth. I loved reading about how you got into scrapbooking.
It is good to got to meet the X family when you went to Australia.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...