Monday, 11 June 2012

Move More, Eat Well: April

I'm a little bit behind in posting about my Move More, Eat Well campaign.
Here's May.  The monthly report is always a month in arrears:
In April I continued to do well in my aims to improve my overall fitness.
I went to Zumba a total of eight times {8}.
I took the dogs on a total of twelve one hour walks {12}.
One thing I hadn’t factored in to Zumba classes at the gym is what happens when The Boy Child is on school holidays.  I know that there is a crèche, but it’s not the turn up and drop off kind ~ I need to investigate how I can make best use of it, while ensuring that it will be a place where The Boy Child is content, happy and above all, safe.
Also, as I spent a week with my sister in Scotland, I did not attend a structured class of any kind.   The local Zumba class clashed with my nephew’s karate, so my sister was unable to mind The Boy Child for that hour. Dog walking was my best effort at daily exercise.
I have not been buying chocolate and biscuits as much and we did not have any Easter eggs.  I think it’s a simple case of re-educating myself about not eating in the evenings after supper. 
I am not hungry; it is a habit ~ a habit that I need to break.  I’m not even sure why it happens. 
Does my blood sugar drop, causing a sugar craving?
Should I opt for a bowl of fruit instead?
Should I just ride it out and go cold turkey?
Four months into my yearlong plan of improved fitness and I can see that I am more aware of the workings of my body.  As I wrote in my Statement of Intent, an overhaul of my eating habits is required. 
Five things I learnt in April:
1) It doesn't matter that I don't know anyone at Zumba
2) I am drinking much more water
3) I don't weigh any less, but I feel less flabby
4) I can survive evenings without chocolate
5) I enjoy it {the exercise, not the evenings without chocolate} 

6 comments:

Kate Hadfield said...

Evenings are tough for me too! I have started snacking on a huge bowl of grapes in the evenings, it helps when I feel the need to munch (and when hubby is scoffing biscuits!)

debs14 said...

I'm a boredom chocolate eater too! It's just far too easy to open a cupboard and find something tasty while you are waiting for a kettle to boil! Well done on the Zumba, I've only ever been to a couple of classes but was totally exhausted by the end.

Alison said...

I'm an evening nibbler too...sounds to me that you're doing really well in the re-education dept!
Alison xx

Beverly said...

"I am not hungry; it is a habit ~ a habit that I need to break. I’m not even sure why it happens." definitely one of my biggest issues, eating when not hungry :(

♥♥ Liz ♥♥ said...

You're doing really well. Evenings are a pain. I actually talk to myself and say "get out of the cupboard you don't need it" and it seems to work!! xx

Missus Wookie said...

Brushing your teeth earlier can help with the avoidance. I find that I go online and start typing etc. means I don't snack. It took ages to lose that habit and there are still times I find that a small bowl of frozen yoghurt (bought a small pretty bowl just for such events) hits the spot...