Thursday, 7 February 2013

What Are You Reading?

Right now, I'm rereading a book that is like an old friend; I've lost count how many times I've read To Serve Them All My Days.
I first came across it in 1980, when the BBC dramatised it.  I think it must have been shown on either a Tuesday or Friday evening, because I remember that only mum and I were at home to watch it.  Dad and my brother would have been at Air Cadets and my sister would have been at Sea Cadets.
The crux of the story is how Bamfylde, a boarding school for boys in Devon, saves a young teacher, David Powlett-Jones, a man who has been invalided out of the Army after three years on the Western Front.  It has everything a good story needs ~ love, loss, humour, redemption.  My favourite character is that of Boyer, a boy who starts out as a joker and ends up as a young man anyone would be proud of.
Have you read it?  I know that Abi has recently.
What are you reading now?

8 comments:

Amy said...

I am rading the latest Alexander McCall Smith Ladies' Detective Agency book, which I love, as well as several Pride and Prejudice take offs, some of The Moreland Dynasty Books and I have just come across Diana Galbaldon and her Outlander/Cross Stitch series.

Karen said...

I have never read that book Ruth, may well be my next read. I am reading 'The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest' but it is taking longer than I had intended as I keep falling asleep.

alexa said...

I remember the series, Ruth, though I didn't watch it at the time. Sounds like a life-enhancing book. At the moment, I am reading a slim volume on how to use the ipad - hoping it will be life- enhancing in a different way!

Jane said...

I've read the book and remember enjoying the series. I'm reading the latest Sherlock Holmes at the moment.

Ladkyis said...

I read that many years ago and it seems I need to reread it. I am reading "The Chocolate Girls" I can't remember the author as it is on my kindle and it is in the other room. It is a fictional tale about girls who worked at Cadbury during the second world war

Sian said...

I don't remember that one, but maybe that was because my Mum didn't like to watch anything related to the war (I'm guessing especially if it involved teachers) so it might have been skipped over in our house. It looks like something I could enjoy now, for sure.

I've been looking at the pictures in my Japanese dolls dressmaking books and wondering about learning some useful phrases. Fast.

Liz said...

I've just finished The 100 yrd old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared and am just about to start Letters from Alcatraz (real letters from inmates like Capone). Thought I'd give it a go seeing as how I've visited The Rock!! I've never read TSTAMD. Must look for it on Kindle :0)

Alison said...

I enjoyed the TV series, but haven't read the book..I have just finished listening to the 'audible' version of 'Judas Kiss' by JT Ellison (a thriller) and am about to start actually reading 'The Unkikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' by Rachel Joyce....have you read the book Liz has just finished...'The Hundred year old Man.....'? It's excellent!
Alison xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...