Thursday, 4 July 2013

Giving a Jot

My lovely pal Sian is involved in a new free online magazine called Jot.  Jot is a brand new, online, free magazine for the modern memory keeper and it has just been launched  by the talented Kim Archer and her team.  It's a pretty cool publication and you'll find Sian's input somewhere around page 45ish, if I remember correctly.
Part of her piece was to issue a challenge: What to Scrapbook when there's Nothing to Scrapbook and she listed 30 suggestions.  When I saw #25: Do you believe in ghosts?  Ever think you have seen one? I was reminded of an incident some twenty odd years ago ...
Do you believe in ghosts?  I do.  Not long after Nana died, I was home on leave from Germany and went in to the back bedroom in Mill Bank Road.  Near the window was Nana's pink-painted-with-a-black-cushion rattan chair and from the corner of my eye, I saw someone/thing rise and disappear.  As I turned to look, the room was filled with the scent of Nana's perfume.  (Years later I learned that she had worn Chanel No. 5.) Slightly unnerved, I hot-footed it to the kitchen and told mum what had happened.  She looked me straight in the eye and said, "There's no need to be frightened.  You know that Nana wouldn't hurt you."
So, yes, I do believe in ghosts.   
There you have it.  A page using a photo of me with my paternal grandparents, circa 1973 coupled with a story about me and paternal grandmother, circa 1990.  And without Sian's list, I never would have thought to put the two together.
Today's scrapbook lesson: think outside the box.

Have you been over to read Jot yet?

8 comments:

Abi said...

I found jot last week and it's fantastic! So many great prompts in there and so much to take in. I loved sian's article and thought the titles could be used for blog posts as well as LO's. Your layout is fab. I love how you have put the stories together.

kim said...

Hi Ruth -- firstly, I'm glad you found us here at Jot and that you enjoyed our first issue.

Secondly, thanks so much for taking on Sian's challenge! And lastly -- WOW -- your layout is great and I am thrilled that Sian's prompts enabled you to remember that story about your Nana -- your story gave me goosebumps!!! Thanks so much for joining in the challenge.. KIM

Sian said...

Oh, wow! How cool is this? What a great story..a comforting one, isn't it? and you have made such a lovely page with that lift up journaling that really works to emphasize the whole idea of peeping into another world. Love it! and thank you.

Ladkyis said...

Ruth that has reminded me of an incident that happened many years ago when my grandfather was recovering from a spinal arterial thrombosis. Mum and I were.......... I'd better go and do a page about this hadn't I? and then look at the rest of Sian's list. I knew I would be sucked in to it. I just knew

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

What a great layout and really cool story! I do believe in ghosts as well and have a story of my own...

Pearl Maple said...

that is a great page and nice way to document special memories

Alison said...

Love your page...I have tried to look at Jot, but it just won't let me..I'm wondering if it's to do with being in Spain?
Alison xx

jeanie g said...

I had a shiver go down my spine when I read about your page Ruth! Yes I believe and also have a story to tell about my experience. Your page is really moving.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...