Tuesday, 3 September 2013

York: Part Two


Day 2 in York meant the National Railway Museum and we were there for opening. Which given our early morning alarm call was a feat in itself.
We headed straight to the Main Hall to see Mallard.  She was the reason we were there. We wanted to see her side-by-side with Dominion of Canada and Dwight D Eisenhower.
Mallard wasn't there.
I had to laugh, because they say things come in threes: late train, fire alarm and now no Mallard on display. After some confusion as to where she might be, we found her in the Museum's Works, looking very sad and dare I say it, small.  
She had an equally sad looking Flying Scotsman for company.  She is painted black because she is in her war time livery.
 I quite fancy the idea of railway themed art on a large wall.
 Still lots to see and experience.
 And the train journey home saw us just 8 minutes late in to King's Cross.
Mallard is due to be on display again at the end of October, side-by-side with the other four sister engines of the A4 Pacific class.  Just so happens The Boy Child will be on half-term then.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Dare I say it, it sounds as though you had one adventure after another!

Ladkyis said...

Still very envious. I think I might see if Mr M will take me to York in October to see her. My birthday treat perhaps

Sian said...

Looks like you both rallied well after the initial disappointment!

I keep looking at the underground signs for sale in the Pedlars catalogue. Very pricey, but probably something TTO would love for Christmas one of these years

Mel said...

At least it will be a trip that you remember - perhaps for all of the wrong reasons! I love his hat!

Missus Wookie said...

Phew that Mallard was there at all - had this horrible thought she was going to be somewhere else... like London! Oct half term hopefully will go more smoothly.

Alison said...

TBC looks as if he enjoyed himself...even though it didn't quite go to plan!!
Alison xx