Thursday, 6 February 2014

Gifts

The Boy Child has had a flurry of birthday party invitations recently.
There's never any question as to what to get for a gift.
Books.
Lovely, lovely books.
When The Boy Child was younger, we gave book tokens, usually for £5.
Now, we aim for as many books as possible for under £10.
And I always buy for an older reading age.  For example, books by David Walliams are aimed at 8+, but we give them to children who are turning seven.
I'm always mindful of Dr Seuss: "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." 
We were delighted to learn recently that The Boy Child has a reading ability roughly 18 months ahead of his actual age.  The Brainy One and I take it in turns to read aloud with him every night before bed.  It's one of the best parts of our day.  We plan to continue doing so until The Boy Child asks us to stop.
What sort of gifts do you/did you buy for the friends of your children? 

12 comments:

Sian said...

I think you know my answer to this :) (though I can't make the parcels look as nice as this one!)

Kirsty.A said...

Yes, books too. Or craft kits for the little girlies

The Quintessential Magpie said...

It depends on the child. My godchildren are very individual in their tastes.

I give our youngest godson toy soldiers that we add to over the years and history books. Our goddaughter always loved Kelly Rightsell stuffed animals. Now she is older and liking clothes. ;-)

I think books are good, but Cecelia hated THE VELVETEEN RABBIT because it was sad.

xo

Sheila

Mary Lou said...

Books for any age are such a perfect gift.

Abi said...

I am the biggest lover of books. I love listening to the children read at school. David Walliams is a firm favourite. My mum and Dad read to me every night till I was eleven. It was wonderful!

debs14 said...

Books were always a big hit here too. I think my son would have loved the David Walliams ones!

Rhona said...

We also love books and often give them or book vouchers as presents. I'm so glad both Alice and Megan love books too and Claire reads to them every evening before bed.

Ladkyis said...

My youngest granddaughter has recently begun to read to me. I just love it. She read Mr Stink and has started Gangsta Granny. She will be nine this month. and her reading has suddenly come on in leaps and bounds. She was stuck for ages but suddenly began to hear the meaning of the words as they were read and suddenly she is a real reader! I'll take all she can read to me.

Amy said...

I'm the same ... exactly!

We read Gangsta Granny in Yr 3 last year and they loved it!

Karen said...

David used to read to Gracia for an hour each night - it was their special time together. He was even reading to her when she was 13. He started reading proper books like Secret Garden and A Little Princess when she was three. She has always had a reading age above her chronological age and I think it has helped greatly with her dyslexia. She is still prolific reader now and has her nose in her Kindle at every opportunity.

Missus Wookie said...

We give books - although just recently we've been clearing the house and therefore there have been toys mixed in to the mix.

We read for hours and hours to the kids, we had audio books too and yep did proper books from early on 'no twaddle' to quote Charlotte Mason.

Didn't stop the read alouds untll Princess went into school at 15, even now we read bits to each other, send quotes and recommend books and articles.

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

I love giving books as gifts for kids! And when Carrie was little I read to her all the time - started when she was an infant, and I can't really remember when I stopped. Anyway, I truly believe that reading to her from an early age helped her to have a huge vocabulary very early on, and to this day she has a love for reading.