Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Henri Cartier-Bresson was Wrong

I read recently something that was attributed to Henri Cartier-Bresson:
 "We photographers deal in things which are constantly vanishing, and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.  We cannot develop and print a memory."  
I read this and then read it again.
"Henri," I said to myself," you are so wrong."
I am a photographer.
Photo Credit: Shimelle.
I am a scrapbooker.
I do exactly what Henri Cartier-Bresson said I couldn't do.
I develop and print my memories.
Henri Cartier-Bresson. 
A valid statement? 
 A load of rubbish?
  Discuss.

5 comments:

Abi said...

I had to read this twice too Ruth. It seems such a funny thing to say. Probably the number one reason I take photos is to record a memory. I print them to re-live those moments. I agree with you Ruth!

Kirsty.A said...

Mmm. I suppose H C-B is partly right, every photo we edit and oribt is a sjewed selection of memory. On the other hand, who cares! It is as close to what we want to remember as possible m and so much better than nothing. Im going to keep on photographing abd printing anyway

Ladkyis said...

perhaps what he means is that once we, who know the story, are gone then what is left is just a picture. He hadn't heard of scrapbooking so his life was the poorer for it

Sian said...

I think you are right. Sometimes i talk about "pinning down" memories..isn't that what a photo does? Is he really saying that isn't possible? What is it, then, that he wants his photos to do?

Missus Wookie said...

I'm aware that my photos only attempt to capture a moment and a glimpse of that moment from one point of view. But agreeing that it is better than not having a photo - they can bring back such memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...