Tuesday, 18 November 2014

Having That Talk

As The Boy Child finished Year 2, The Brainy One and I decided, after much discussion, that we should tell him that he has Autism.
I'd previously briefly mentioned our plan on the blog and someone (if that was you, please remind me) recommended a book called Can I tell you about Autism?  It's written for 7-year-olds to understand and I found it extremely useful.
I chose to have the talk before we left for Denmark in August (knowing that I would ask for a Guest Assistance Pass at Legoland).
Having thought that it went well, I asked him if he had any questions.
He cried.
Because he thought nobody would like him if he had Autism.
I wasn't expecting that.
We were able to talk things through and he seemed accepting of it.
He's since asked if he will still have Autism when he is 15 years old.
He asked a visiting teacher to his school if she had children with Autism in her class.  He was delighted when she told him that all her pupils have Autism.
He tells his friends that Autism is cool when you can jump the queues at places like Legoland.

It's done.
He knows.
Life is slightly easier now that the 'A' word is used openly.
That there will be more questions, I don't doubt.

9 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

A true milestone for all of you, Ruth. My heartstrings tugged knowing that your boy cried about it at first. He's such an awesome little man though, I have no doubt he will grow and thrive through this. xo

Kirsty.A said...

Well done. I think it's important. But hard. So hard

Liz said...

It's done now so that's one less thing to worry about. He's is who he is and we love him for it. Big hugs all round xxx

Alison said...

Hugs x

Abi said...

Well done, that can't have been an easy talk. His reaction really touched me but i'm so glad he is accepting of it and is seeing the positives- like jumping the queue! He is an amazing little man.

debs14 said...

It sounds like it went well, I bet you were dreading opening that conversation and whilst there were tears, I'm pleased he's found that it comes with positives too. He's such a lovely little man and I'm looking forward to seeing now he grows up in the future x

Ladkyis said...

With knowledge comes understanding. Now he can begin to understand why things happen differently to the way they work in his head and you can walk a little taller because that weight has gone from your shoulders.
You are AWESOME! I have no idea how I would have coped, I hope I would be like you. He is a very lucky boy to have you both as parents

Sian said...

Yep, A is also for awesome!

I'm sure there will be many more questions, but if you keep answering I guess he'll be able to keep answering the questions he gets asked too and then there'll be a whole lot more understanding in the world and that sounds good to me. You're doing a fine job.

alexa said...

That's a courageous thing to have done and sounds as if it was a really helpful outcome for your lovely son once he got his head around it. I think you need to be writing a handbook for parents!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...