Sunday, 17 May 2015

Currently Reading

The History of Love | Nicole Krauss: I've yet to start this, but I saw it mentioned on A Cup of Jo, where Jo declared it her favourite book ever.  Set in New York City, it's a story of loneliness, survival and lost love.

The Life Changing Magic of Tidying | Marie Kondo: I bought this on a whim, after reading about it in The Times newspaper a while back.  Some might say that I'm a little OCD about tidiness, but that wasn't always the case.  I was as untidy a child as the next.  However, more than a decade in the military taught me the art of tidiness and more importantly, the art of decluttering.  This is an easy read, with lots of her suggestions now highlighted for easy referral.  A voice in my head tells me that this could lead to a business opportunity for me.  Plenty of cash rich, time poor people in London who are in serious need of help with decluttering ...

Elizabeth is Missing | Emma Healey: I bought this at Euston station last month, when I was on my way to collect The Boy Child from Granny's house and I'm about halfway through.  I've found that I can only manage a few pages at a time, mainly because I'm reading it at bedtime but also the subject matter is depressing and upsetting.  Maud, the main character, is showing definitive signs of Alzheimer's and given that my lovely mother-in-law suffered with that in the last few years of her life, I'm not finding it a breeze to whizz through.  Having that said, there is also a seventy year old mystery to to solved ...      

What are you reading right now? 

5 comments:

Mary Lou said...

I am just one chapter from finishing A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman & just about to pick up Blessings by Anna Quindlen. I have The Life Changing Magic of Tidying on request from the library - thanks for the recommendation

Melissa said...

I saw Elise's post and also Wilna picked it on Paperclipping Roundtable the other day. Stacy Julian was on the Roundtable, too, and said it was that book that prompted her to do a major clean out of her craft book. I have it on my wish list at Amazon . . . for as soon as I can get through a few more of the books in the pile by my bed! :)

Ladkyis said...

I started reading Elizabeth is Missing and just could not do it. My lovely MiL died last October of that nasty evil disease and the book made me aware of just how raw my emotions still are. One day perhaps

Sian said...

I'm reading knitting patterns at the moment. And having watched Jonathan Strange last night I'm thinking of pulling it back out again

Barbara said...

I have read the' Tidy' book by Marie Kondo, lots of good advice but at times a bit too much for me. I am reading Steven King's Revival I am about half way through and finding it a bit boring, maybe it will improve as I read on.