Monday, 22 June 2015

It's Been How Long?

Last week, lovely Abi wrote a post about the joy of visiting the library
 now that she has finished her degree.
And I'm ashamed to admit it, but reading that post
made me realise that I couldn't remember the last time
I'd visited our local library.
Ahem.
 The Boy Child and I called in today after school.
He was as happy as Larry.
First stop, the aisle holding the books on Sport.
 I left him with his nose in a book on football (obviously)
and went off to browse the non-fiction.
The choice was so over whelming, I came away with nothing.
Using the self check-out, it soon became obvious that the pair of us 
were persona non grata.  Our last visit was so long ago, we had
actually fallen off their system.
"Why do you want to rejoin the library?" asked the librarian, 
who looked all of about 12-years-old.
Um, to borrow books?
  Abi's post is here.

8 comments:

Sian said...

Ahem..you wouldn't be the only one. Can you believe I'm saying that? But our library service went on a spending freeze some years ago now and the book selection doesn't get refreshed the way it needs to be. It makes me sad

Margaret J said...

My library card has gathered dust - mainly because of the cuts in the book fund making the selection rather limited.

Ladkyis said...

our local library has the facility to borrow electronic books. I have purchased a tablet and will put the reading thingy onto it now that I am back from our jaunt into the west country. Then I can borrow loads of books!

Liz said...

We've been here almost a year and I don't even know where the local library is!! Shocking!! :0)

Alison said...

Library?!....what's that? In rural Spain they don't really exist...thank goodness for the Charity Shops! Xx

Missus Wookie said...

I too am grateful for the electronic borrowing facility here too. I use two different borough's library systems and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Melissa said...

It's been . . . umm . . . 4 days since I was at our library last. And I'm going tomorrow for a DIY art class. Our library always has something on for all ages - I attend a monthly book club. And I always have some books checked out! So glad y'all came away with a few books.

Abi said...

Yay! I'm glad you returned!