Wednesday, 10 June 2015

When Do You Read?

You know me, I always have a stack of books on the go.
Not much has changed since my last book post, apart from adding 
Snail Mail on the strength of Julie's excellent review.
I try to read for pleasure every day.
What got me thinking about my reading habits was reading this post by Elise.
I scan the newspaper every lunch time and throughout the weekend.
I read what's in The Boy Child's bag every afternoon.
I might read in the evening if there's nothing on the TV.
I always read a few pages before going to sleep, no matter how late it is.
In the first part of the year, I made a concerted effort to carry a book with me.
For reading on the Tube.
For reading when I'm too early for pick-up.
But of late, I seem to have fallen off the book-carrying wagon.
When I was single, I could spend a whole weekend in my PJs,
 doing nothing except read, even while I ate.
When The Boy Child was a baby, I read during his nap time (if I wasn't scrapbooking).
When I was under orders to take it easy, I built reading time into my day.
Reading is a lifelong habit for me and it's a habit that's currently in need of some TLC.
Suggestions?

4 comments:

alexa said...

Sounds like you have quite a few reading opportunities spread throughout the day, Ruth, and thank-you for the link to Elise's post. Unlike Elise, I do use the Kindle on the ipad, as well as what Missus Wookie calls 'dead tree books'!, because I can pick it up quickly and put it down and the page is always ready for me. Like you, I think, my reading has to be fitted around the needs of others; I guess I watch hardly any television, so I'm not sure of there's an opportunity in that part of your day to make a differetn choice? You have a great selection there!

Sian said...

I read anywhere, everywhere, like you even when I eat given the chance. When the kids were younger I was too tired to read anything but a magazine at bedtime, but I'm back to books again now. It'll come back to you. How about at homework time?

Ladkyis said...

I remember teaching myself to read because my father used to cut bits out of the stories he read to me at night. The only way I could challenge him was to be able to read. I have always had at least two books on the go at any one time and even though my reading has slowed down of late I am still getting through an average of four books a week.
My mother could listen to the radio, read and knit. I can read and listen to the radio or TV or knit and watch TV but three has always been beyond me.

As I recall when my children were between 5 and 12 I was only able to read two or three books a week - I am not counting the stories I read to them. So it will pick up again as he matures

Missus Wookie said...

I've been struggling with this - and have started to book it in on my calendar, figuring that way it actually has a chance to happen... Commuting has helped.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...