Monday, 13 July 2015

If You've Got It, Flaunt It

Over the last three years, I've become so much better at telling people
 that The Boy Child has autism.
And funnily enough, the more I tell people, the easier it gets. 
I've become pedantic in correcting people who refer to The Boy Child as autistic.
He is more than the condition.
The Boy Child just so happens to have autism.
Just like some people have brown hair, green eyes or one leg.
The condition does not define the individual.
During our recent visit to the Science Museum, I noticed a chap wearing a really great t-shirt.  And because I knew that everyone at the Museum that morning had a connection to autism, I wasn't shy about asking him where he got it from.
   The t-shirt for The Boy Child and a hoodie for me arrived on Friday.
Given the recent rough days, I decided today was the ideal time for The Boy Child to wear his.
We were meeting up with friends and heading into the City of London at a time of day we usually avoid.  It felt appropriate to give the strangers in our tube carriage a heads up.
Forewarned is forearmed.
As it happened, The Boy Child spent the journey snuggled up to my friend and
 was nowhere near the loudest of the four children making up our party.

I purchased the t-shirt and hoodie here.
You can read Kelly's story here.
Follow her page on Facebook here.


5 comments:

Liz said...

He totally rocks that t-shirt. Hopefully it will help raise awareness. Glad he had a good day out xx

Carole R said...

Love the t shirt and you are so right : he has autism he is not defined by that. I have diabetes and get so tired of the diabetic police (who seem to know nothing about the condition) saying to me 'oh you shouldn't be eating that you're
diabetic'. They get short shrift!

Patio Postcards said...

I applaud Kelly's genius and thanks again, you have grown the knowledge base about Autism. Within our family we have a little one "diagnosed" with Asperger's Syndrome and I think he needs this t-shirt.

Alison said...

What a great t-shirt! Xx

Missus Wookie said...

Love the shirt - hope the message helps explain things.

Oh yeah teeth brushing still a struggle here.