Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Autism and the Everyday #3

There are some things about autism that are hard to live with.
  It's all relative because, let's be honest, autism is hard to live with.
Full stop. 
Let's talk toileting.
I didn't potty train The Boy Child until a few months after his third birthday.
Instinct told me that he wasn't ready before then.
Over the Easter weekend in 2010, he cracked it.
The difficulties surrounding toileting today 
is the process as a whole.
He knows what he is supposed to do
and in what order.
However, the sequence of events rarely happens
 in the prescribed order.
A child with autism does not see the process
 as a series of individual, but still important, processes,
all helping to make up the whole.
{I daresay some of you will tell me that typical children
don't necessarily follow all the processes, either.} 
He does what he needs to do and moves on. 
What to do about it? 
Because even I am sick of the sound of my nagging voice.  
Draw up a list of rules, of course.
Scrapbooking element optional.
Display somewhere prominent.
Hope that they are read and adhered to.

6 comments:

Julie Kirk said...

What a good Mum he's got. I hope you all find it comes in useful.

p.s: You can add this to your list of ways to use up number stickers ... you're fast becoming an expert on it! ;-)

Sian said...

I think that's an excellent approach and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it has some success.

..it's those hidden things that can pile on the stress. the things most people don't know about

alexa said...

A very creative way to help him - you have my admiration.

Patio Postcards said...

Brilliant idea! I think your loo rules and the crafting of it could be in any bathroom for any age participants, I am especially thinking of the staff bathroom at work!

debs14 said...

There are so many aspects of autism that I'm not aware of and I think it's so interesting that you mention these 'everyday' things that happen at home that aren't so routine to an autistic child. Potty training can be a minefield even to non-autistic children, so I can only try and imagine the 'fun' you had with that part of the learning process! The framed rules are such a brilliant idea.

Diana Pratiwi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...