Wednesday, 18 November 2015

Right Now ...

Right now ... things are a little stressful.
They've been better, it has to be said.
But today, however, I met up for lunch with someone
that I haven't seen in a very long time
(apart from a few hours here).
We went to our local pub, which Time Out has just named as 
the best pub in our London borough.
Who knew?
I told her the truth of what living with autism on a daily basis is like.
She told me of her family's difficult and horrendous last few months.
We laughed.
We might have nearly cried.
Right now ... 
 I'm reminded of how important it is to make that call, 
to follow up on that promise of let's-get-together-soon,
to remember that others may also be living through a difficult time,
to not be the one who says, "She's a friend, but I haven't seen her in years." 
Right now ... I'm reminded that friendship is about stepping up
and being present in the here and now. 

3 comments:

Ladkyis said...

I had a friend, a very dear friend and we talked sometimes on the phone - every couple of months or so. She told me she had stomach cancer at the beginning of June that year and I said that I would "pop in when we get back from our holiday".
At the beginning of July I went to her funeral. I have tried not to make that mistake ever again.

Liz said...

It's good to talk :) xx

Sian said...

Yes! It's good to have friends you know you can call on at anytime even if you haven't seem them for a while. But it's also even better to actually call.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...