Friday, 29 January 2016

Farewell

Late yesterday afternoon, I had the great privilege, alongside 300+ other mourners,
of saying farewell to our beloved Grandad P.
It's not often that you hear the words wonderful and funeral in the same sentence,
but that's what it was.
A celebration in the true sense of the word.
Of a man who gave his life to the service of this country.
Of a man who touched the lives of thousands of individuals.
Of a man who was the living embodiment of love, loyalty, duty, honour and faith.
 I hesitated about taking a photo of the hearse at the end of the service.
But then I thought how I'd always taken a photo of Grandad P every time we'd seen him.
And given that it was the last time I would see him, it seemed right and proper.
 His story is very much intertwined with my story.
For that, I am forever grateful.

5 comments:

Jane said...

a wonderful man, an inspiration to us all.

debs14 said...

How lucky you were to have him in your lives. It sounds like it was a true celebration of a full and good life.

Sian said...

It sounds as if it was a real privilege to have been part of his story. I expect he felt the same way about you

Patio Postcards said...

Lovely. What a wonderful tribute you & so many others have given him.

Missus Wookie said...

So sorry for your loss.

Glad you have so many good memories and photos, hope they help ease the sorrow.