Friday, 5 February 2016

Be Visible in Your Story

Does it happen to you?
You know for certain that you have a photo of X,
but for the life of you, you cannot put your hand on it.
I have a small project in mind where I need 72 photos,
with one person appearing in all 72 images.
It's been no easy task, I can tell you. 
While rummaging through stacks of dusty papers and cards,
I came across this.
Sent by the lovely Sian back in the summer of 2014,
it's a timely reminder.
.We memory-keepers write down our stories and of those we love.
We take photos.  Thousands of photos.
We make physical memories with pretty paper and those thousands of photos.
And yet we forget to include ourselves.
My point is simple...
 be visible in your story.
In whatever form your memory-keeping takes.
  

4 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I do hope you can find your 72 photos, its a right pain when you know you have them - somewhere. A good reminder about being present in our memory keeping stories. I should be more present in my memory keeping but I really, really hate having my photo taken.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I think my blog has helped me recall and record the stories of me.
As the kids have gotten older and moved on, more of my photos focus on me and my husband.
Rinda

Sian said...

This 72 photo project sounds remarkable. I'm wishing you well with it

Gail said...

Thanks so much for the reminder Ruth. I wish you well with your project.