Tuesday, 8 March 2016

A Simple Matter of Reorganisation?

It had got to the point where it was beginning to bug the c**p out of me.
The bookcase in the hall had become a dumping ground.
 Hats and gloves.
Maps and books thrown on top of other books.
A windscreen wiper.
Box sets of DVDs that we never, ever watch. 
{Apart from The Sopranos.}
An hour later I had reached a point where I was reasonably happy
to stop.  I have a pile of books ready to go to Oxfam.
  The maps are stored together in the white basket. 
Books on similar subjects are grouped together. 
And yet ... the bookcase might be tidier than before, but it still doesn't
look like how I had envisaged it.  The reason for that is, of course, obvious.
I'm not a picture editor/designer/window dresser.
I still have too much stuff on those shelves.
The bookcase is not the best quality, as evidenced by the bowing in the top shelf.
Which I can't turn over in the hope of forcing the shelf to bend back to its natural shape,
 because the underside is bare MDF.
The Roman writer Cicero said, "A room without books is a like a body without a soul."
A wise man, that Cicero.
So I'll call it done and move on to the next job.

3 comments:

Rhona Stevenson said...

I know exactly what you mean. I get a picture in my mind (or see a photo in a magazine) of how I'd like it to look but it never seems the same when I'm done. I often wish I was one of those people who effortlessly make things look lovely but instead I accept that it is what it is and move on to the next project ��

alexa said...

Looks like a good job done, I'd say. When I can't get something to my liking, for whatever reason, I call it 'a work in progress' - always makes me feel better :).

Susanne said...

Let's face it, the pictures in the magazines are rarely based on storing a normal family's normal stuff. I do like the idea of hiding clutter in baskets!