Thursday, 12 May 2016

Out of the Shadows

Last evening, as I was pottering around in the kitchen after supper,
I felt suddenly and completely overwhelmed with grief.
Grief, as we know, is the price we pay for love
and it has a nasty habit of popping up without warning.
Five minutes later, as I felt more myself,
I was reminded of song lyrics I'd heard on the radio.
"It's a long hard road that leads to a brighter day".*
Today, as it happens, is that brighter day.
The sun is shining, the rain has moved off.
I am wearing a skirt.
I have bare legs.
I am wearing silver sandals.
A brighter day indeed.

*Lyrics from Yah Mo B There by Michael McDonald.


6 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Nothing like having the glad rags on to make a cover cheerful. Oh the grief happens, glad you are being kind to yourself.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, sweet Ruth, it's so hard. ♥ I hate that you have to go through this part. And the sun just keeps on coming up, day after day. Know that it will eventually get easier with time. I love the looks of your shoes and those fallen blossoms. xo

Sian said...

You're letting yourself feel it and that's the right thing to do. Trying to psh it away just stores up trouble for the future x

Alison said...

The same thing happened to me yesterday...my dad just crept up on me...it happens out of the blue and almost takes your breath away- at least it does me...Deb is right...it DOES get easier with time xx

Ladkyis said...

Sian says what I was going to say. There is a shrieking disney song that consists entirely of the words "Let it go" and that's the only way to cope with a sudden attack of grief. You are very much allowed to do this, it is in your contract - you have a birth certificate that certifies your right to do this.
Sending you cwtches

alexa said...

How wise you are in letting yourself be with it all, in the moment. The only way out is through... And your happy Spring photo made me smile. Thank you for that quote, which I didn't know. I've tucked it away - it will be very helpful to me too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...