Monday, 20 June 2016

Memorandum Monday

Monday has rolled around again, and that means it's time to
join in with the lovely Sian and
 share something that I've learnt over the weekend.
***
The term inclusive doesn't always mean that it is.
The gym where I am a member is also the place where 
The Boy Child has his weekly swimming lesson.
Officially, now that he is 9-years-old, he is not allowed in the female changing rooms.
Which is fine, if The Brainy One accompanies him to his lesson.
But on those days when he is unavailable, where is The Boy Child supposed to go?
video
Autism precludes The Boy Child from changing into his swim kit, securing his belongings, not losing the locker key, drying himself properly, and repacking his bag without supervision.
  There are no disabled facilities in the gym and the Swim Manager says that she has never been asked that question before. 

You can see what Sian discovered over the weekend here

9 comments:

helena said...

such a ridiculous situation they have created I hope they find a solution fast

Bernice Hopper said...

In the meantime is there a disabled toilet you could use? Or a mother and baby room?

alexa said...

Oh my goodness, some serious lack of thought and planning on,their part :(. I like Bernice's suggestions. Or,just go ahead and do what you have always done - is anyone likely to know his age? Or mind?

debs14 said...

Bernice and Alexa have good ideas. To be honest, I wouldn't have trusted my son at 9 to do all that himself, it seems a very low age limit. Maybe once they get to secondary school age it would be a sensible time. As Alexa says, who's to know his exact age? And I know for a fact that if I were a parent of a girl having lessons, I would have no issue with a young boy being there. Stupid rules like this make me so cross.

Patio Postcards said...

I hope that the swim gym does not take to long to figure this one out. At our local YMCA, they have Men, Ladies & a Family change room for this very situation.

Susanne said...

For this and many other reasons, I think all public places need to have at least one family bathroom in addition to the mens and ladies. I hope you find a solution.

Sian said...

Sounds illegal to me. I hope you can work to find a solution very soon because it's obvious how much he enjoys it!

Maggie said...

I agree with Sian this has got to be illegal. No disabled facilities? I don't have boys but I am really not sure I would have let my 9 year old in men's changing rooms on his own. For a start you never know who might be lurking or am I just of a suspicious nature?

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh gosh, Ruth, that is an unfortunate situation! :o\ On a good note, it's fun to see him swimming in that cute video. Good luck with this new predicament! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...