Thursday, 15 September 2016

100 Days

It was pointed out to me recently that today marks 100 days until Christmas.
Yep, really.
I've always tried to avoid thinking about Christmas until at least October, but as The Boy Child has grown up, talk of Christmas starts earlier.  In fact, we've already had a chat about writing to Santa ...   
I have plenty of happy memories relating to the Christmas period 
and a handful of family traditions that appear every year. 
 It was while thinking about those traditions earlier this week, I realised I'd created new traditions for my own family of three. 
 {Anything done at the same time each Christmas counts as a tradition, right?}    
***
Here's a look at a few of them:
{feel free to stop reading here, if you truly can't bear to read about Christmas just yet} 
December Daily: the brilliantly simple Christmas memories scrapbooking project.  To quote Ali Edwards {whose idea December Daily is}, the simple goal is to capture the spirit of December via one story per day
  This year will be my 9th year of documenting Christmas.
Christmas baubles: We never planned it, but each year of our married life, The Brainy One and I have added a bauble to our collection.
 The only stipulation being that its purchase must have significance for us.
The Christmas Box:  The Christmas Box makes an appearance on the 1st December 
and is eagerly awaited by The Boy Child.
 What's in the box? 
A collection of storybooks relating to Christmas and the Christmas CDs.
Elvis the Elf: Elvis joined our family in December 2011 and has appeared as regular as clockwork every subsequent December since.  For those of you who may not know why he appears, he was chosen by Santa to be his eyes and ears in our home.  Every evening, he pops off to Santa and reports back on The Boy Child's behaviour.  He does this every evening until Christmas Eve, when he goes home with Santa for a well deserved break.
How do we know that Elvis pops off to see Santa?  Because every morning, he can be found in a different place and sometimes he even brings a note back from the big man.

So there you have it.  Just 100 days to the big day
and an opportunity for me to legitimately think about the things
 that make Christmas special to me and mine. 
Thanks for indulging me!

{Today is also the 76th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain.  Per Ardua ad Astra}
   
    


2 comments:

Sian said...

Funny, I have just been facetiming Little E..and the word "Santa" may have been mentioned..

Becky said...

I've got a couple of the same traditions as you! I do December Daily (or version thereof) and Hugh and I buy a Christmas bauble each year when we are on holiday.