Wednesday, 9 November 2016

Snap #36 | The 9/11 Musuem

Helena has a new photographic theme for 2016:
Snap, a visually linked group of 2 to 4 images.
***
The 9/11 Museum in Lower Manhattan
is humbling, emotional and truly inspiring in equal measure.
 Most of the museum is underground and under the 
actual footprints of the Twin Towers. 
 The external access of these stairs saved scores of lives
 that day in September 2001.  They survived reasonably intact;
 the damage you can see occurred during the clean-up operation.
This steel girder was the last thing removed from the World Trade Centre site.
The city's police and fire departments were invited to add their company details,
and relatives of the dead were able to write memories of their loved ones on there.
***
    You can see more Snap images here.

10 comments:

helena said...

oh my the girder made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck

Miriam said...

Oh my goodness. Your post has stopped me in my tracks Ruth. It is incredibly poignant.

Patio Postcards said...

Such a moving & emotional SNAP collection. The events of Sept 11, 2001 still reduce me to tears even just thinking about that day. This is one tribute I would truly like to see.

Lady Ella said...

First time I have ever seen inside the memorial, thank you. I think everyone remembers where they were when they first heard what was unfolding that tragic day.

marshaleith said...

wow...what an amazing memorial...It makes everything so personal.
It reminds me alot of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights...I should do a SNAP with that soon!

Sian said...

Wow..

The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I looked at that staircase too.

Karen said...

I have friends who have visited and it is truly a moving experience. The last time I was in NYC was the month before 9/11, and the only time I was ever in the World Trade Center.

alexa said...

My word, that's very moving ... I remember the day vividly. Thank-you for this.

Missus Wookie said...

I have friends who were in the WTC during the attack, and have heard their tales - so thankful that they got out alive. I remember learning about it and would like to visit the museum if I ever get back to NYC.

Maggie said...

That staircase... We didn't go into the museum when we visited. My sister had been before and didn't feel she could go again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...