Wednesday, 27 January 2010

Banana Loaf

Today I have made my first ever Banana Loaf ~ DH has road tested it and given it the thumbs up! I used a recipe my sister sent me back when DH and I were newly married. I don't suppose she thought it would take me over 4 years to try it out, but I do have a good excuse ~ I don't like bananas and DS is none too keen on them, either.

8 oz self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp mixed spice
4 oz butter or margarine
1lb ripe bananas
6 oz caster sugar
4 oz chopped mixed peel
2 oz walnuts, roughly chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes ~ 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
Well grease and flour a 1.5 lb loaf tin. Sieve the flour, salt & mixed spice into a bowl. rub in butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Peel and mash the bananas and add to the flour with the remaining ingredients. Beat until the mixture is well blended
Turn out into prepared loaf tin and bake for 1hour 10 minutes, or until the loaf is well risen and pale golden. Leave in tin for 5 minutes before turning out and cool on a wire rack. When cold, drizzle loaf with a little icing sugar.

Note to self ~ remember to check position of shelf in oven before leaving the house to collect DS from nursery. We got back to find the loaf almost reaching the top of the oven and a little scorched looking!

10 comments:

Lulu said...

Where's my/our invitation for afternoon tea? That loaf smells delicious from here!

Liz said...

Yours turned out better than my last one. I think my bananas were a bit too ripe!!!

Rhona said...

That looks good!! Have you tried it or just DH? Do you like bananas in the loaf? I know my older two children don't like bananas but will eat banana loaf/cupcakes. What about DS, did he like it?

humel said...

Looks great :-) Well - except for the nuts, to which I am allergic.... But hey, I could always replace them with chocolate chips ;-)

Ladkyis said...

The banana flavour is enhanced if you can manage to keep it for 24 hours - we have only managed this once in 30 years and that was when people were supposed to arrive and it snowed so there weren't enough people here to eat both the banana loaf AND the cranberry and pecan loaf

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, this looks SO good, Ruth! Thanks for the recipe.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Bernie said...

I love banana bread and this looks delicious.....:-) hugs

Amy said...

Well, you have used the icing sugar extremly strategically! We make this a LOT - the kids love it and it is great in school lunches :-)

dottydotty said...

this looks good I have some bananas i need to use:)

Sian said...

Looks great! It's a brilliant way to disguise the banana-ness of bananas isn't it?