Friday, 5 February 2010

Music & The Power Of Memory

So, there I was, just now, trying to finish off the ironing while DH did bedtime stories with DS. You can picture the scene, I'm in the kitchen, the dinner has just gone in the oven, the radio is on (Simon Mayo's show on BBC Radio 2) and what do I hear? 'Fat Bottomed Girls' by Queen ~ an all-time classic, in my opinion, and one I haven't heard in ages (listen and see here, if you don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0)
Within the blink of an eye, I'm back in the late 70s and clearly seeing my parents and their friends singing their heads off to this song at our annual New Year's Eve parties! And there, in my mind, is my youngest girl cousin, drinking a "Nick Special" ~ a Gin & Tonic without the Gin (but that's a whole other story) ...
What am I trying to tell you? Just this: Music is what feelings sound like (author unknown) and there will only ever be one Freddie!

5 comments:

Deb said...

Absolutely, Ruth!

I love Queen and every time I hear one of their songs it takes me back too. Funny how certain songs will do that. :o)

humel said...

Oh, yes - I know that feeling! I love that quotation, thanks for sharing x

Bernie said...

Ruth, I loved Queen their music, you are right he was great wasn't he......:-) Hugs

furrypig said...

Queen are an amazing band (or were!) they are definitely a legend right up there with other musucal legends in my opinion eg the Beatles. The music is timeless and enduring.

Liz said...

There was only one Freddie. Even you DN likes a few Queen songs and wants them on his MP3!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...