Wednesday, 13 October 2010

MTAV: Pages O And P



O is for Old-Fashioned, Orchids and Overhead.  P is for Photography, Piercings and Printed Word.






Old-Fashioned:
In my book, it’s a good thing to be old-fashioned.  I’m teaching DS to say please & thank-you, to move aside for people who wish to pass us, to put our rubbish in the bin and to scoop the poop after the dog has been.  One of my greatest joys is when a stranger comments about how polite DS is.  I am strict about the amount of television he watches and about his general behaviour.  In time, I’ll be teaching him to offer his seat to those older than him or to pregnant ladies and to open the door for ladies or the elderly and to hold the door after he has passed through for those coming behind him.  DS has never been to McDonald’s, eaten anything that has sugar as its main ingredient or tasted Coco Cola.  These things will come with time, but, in the mean time, if that makes me old-fashioned then I can live with it.  See also: Motherhood. 
Piercings:
I had my ears pierced on my 15th birthday and a second set of holes followed shortly after.  I always wore plain studs, but since DS was born I haven’t so much ~ too many instances of him throwing his head against my ear.  However, in what I can only describe as an act of middle age desperation, in the spring of 2003 I had my belly button pierced.  Even now, over 7 years later, it causes raised eye brows and comments such as, “But, it’s so not you” and that is exactly why I like it.

6 comments:

furrypig said...

totally agree with teaching children old fashioned values as it is something sadly lacking in much of society. I also love it when I am told my children are polite... high praise indeed! My 2 are older and have both tasted cola and been to McDonalds but neither of them are huge fans of either! Love the idea of your unexpected piercing it's never to late to get more!!!

Rhona said...

Nothing wrong with old fashioned values in my book either. I think it's something that could do with being brought back big time - unfortunately, not everyone feels the same! I'm really enjoying the pages you're sharing, you've done so well! I need to get started with mine!!

Sian said...

I'm a big fan of good manners. And belly button piercing.

Deb said...

That's quite a contrast - old fashioned AND rebellious. ;o) I love your parenting style with your DS and wish more parents still raised their kids that way. And I think it's awesome that you have your belly button pierced. Your reasoning is the same as mine for having a tattoo on my low-back. It's me, and I like it, so there. XO

humel said...

Fascinating to learn these snippets about you! I'm fully in support of the old-fashioned values :-)

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

It's always good to have something a little unexpected about you to keep people on their toes