Thursday, 3 February 2011

What Are You Reading?

I was at my reading group this morning, albeit a little later than usual, because I'd forgotten about an appointment with the dental hygienist.  We discussed Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese ~ I thought it was excellent.  Not the type of novel I would normally choose to read, but it turned out to be a real page turner.
Added to pile on my bedside table is this month's read, The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton ~ a true classic, in my opinion.  I'm looking forward to re-acquainting myself with it.  You may have noticed that the other 3 in the pile have something of a military feel to them.  Two memoirs from the men of Easy Company and the memoir of a Battle of Britain pilot.  It's in my blood, what can I say?
What are you planning on reading this month?

6 comments:

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I just finished the Attenbury Emeralds which is a new Peter Whimsey story but written entirely by Jill Walsh. It was pretty good.

humel said...

I haven't read any of those (yet!) I'm currently working my way through my collection of Agatha Christies for the umpteenth time. They'll keep me occupied for a while I think!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Last month I finished a biography of Ron Chernow's George Washington (EXCELLENT FIVE STARS, a biography of Winston Churchill (Gilbert), The Help, and some Nicholas Sparks books. I also started Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples and a bio of Alexander Hamilton. I've been reading a lot of history and loving it.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Barbara said...

I read the Edith Wharton years ago, she always reminds me of Henry James... not sure if that's a good thing or bad :O)

Kirsty.a said...

I've just finished 'The Year of the Flood' by Margaret Attwood. I found it a bit slow going in places, but it's an interesting read. Scary if you're of a Apocalyptic frame of mind - the Earth (or specifically USA) after human' have destroyed it with science.
Right now I'm reading my 'Pass the Book' book - 'Where Women Create' and enjoying it

Sian said...

I am reading this month's pick for Pass The Book. Clearly, I am not at liberty to divulge any further details just yet..