Monday, 7 February 2011

Yesterday & Today: Week 6

A perfect one for me this week, as it was all about creating LOs where yesterday combined with today.  A veritable rouges' gallery, if you will.  Or, put another way, a family historian's delight.
These photos are all from my mum's side of the family and mostly from her mum's line.  My maternal grandfather came from the north of Ireland (prior to partition in 1922) and left home to join the Army.  The story goes that his father's second wife was a classic wicked stepmother type (my grandfather's mother having died when he was barely 8 years old), so that might explain the lack of photos of his family.
The photos were printed out as two to a page, 6x4, and then trimmed to approximately 6.5x6.5 cms.  In Ali's example, she used two journaling squares as part of her design, one on each page.  However, I must admit that I didn't like the finished look with them in place on my DLO, so I took them out and added 2 more photos.
I am really pleased with my overall finished look.  So much so, I've completed another page for my dad's side.
My dad was an only child and his dad was also an only child.  Suffice to say, there are not many photos from his side at all.  But what I do have are lots of my paternal grandparents together, looking so happy to be with each other and so much in love.  That's what stands out from looking at their photos ~ love.  There's another 7 weeks of Yesterday & Today to run, so I'm sure that they will be starring in a DLO of their own before I'm done.
I'm considering making a LO for DS's album, where I can show his own family history ~ him, us, his 2 sets of grandparents and 4 sets of great grandparents.  I think that would be pretty cool.


5 comments:

Sandie said...

This is so lovely Ruth. It is a wonderful idea to put all the family photos together like this. I would so love to be doing this myself right now but it is not the right time for me, too much else on in my life. But I am enjoying watching your pages come together and hearing your stories.
Perhaps mine will come another time.

Sian said...

These are looking so good! I think what I am loving about Ali's layout ideas is their versatility - it is so easy to say "I could do a few more of these" like you have here. They are great scrapping tools.

Beverly said...

What lovely layouts of loved ones! This is a "to do" project for me.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

What a great way to document your family history, Ruth. I love the use of all those photos within the layouts!

Amy said...

These pages are both excellent Ruth, and I agree with Sian, their versatility is obvious as you have demonstrated! And, you are serriously on a scrapping hot run at the moment - loving the pages :-)