Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Too Much Information?

Yesterday, Shimelle's Blogging For Scrapbookers prompt talked about the dangers of putting too much information voluntarily out there in cyberspace.  I've mentioned this before, I know, but when I began blogging DH made it very clear that he didn't want to be identifiable in any way and we both agreed that DS shouldn't be, either.
But what about when it comes to scrapbooking?  Should we just go ahead and have everything visible on the page, for anyone who happens along to see?  No, of course not.  Some pages are intensely personal, some pages tell family stories and some pages tell the story of every day.  We get to choose what can be seen and what can be hidden away.
Illustrating my point is this LO about when I met Mel last month:
I know where Mel lives, I know the names of her The Children and I obviously know the location of where we met.  But I also know, like me, Mel does not want identifiable facts about her life on her blog, or on anyone elses.  So you get to read the bare bones of our meeting up, while the real story is tucked away behind the main photo.  And I get to not betray the trust that Mel has placed in me.

13 comments:

Sian said...

Yep, I think hidden journalling is definitely the way to go. Lots of my pages are like that :)

I'm glad you share your beautiful photos of that lovely little boy of yours - I'm always interested in what he's been up to!

humel said...

This post and page brought tears to my eyes! Thank you, Ruth :-) And thank you for your discretion (not that I ever doubted it!) - I know our personal details are safe in your hands xx

Melissa said...

Great example and I'm so jealous that you got to meet Mel in person.

Rhona said...

This is a great layout and a good example of keeping personal details hidden. xx

furrypig said...

Great page about a great day and I think Shimelle's thoughts about personal details on blogs are very interesting and will make me very aware for the future!

Carrie Rosalind said...

I totally agree with keeping some details about your life hidden! That's why I'm Carrie Rosalind so that my last name isn't floating around for anyone to see!

I am so jealous that you and Mel met - it looks like a fun time and the scrapbook page is super cute, too! :)

debs14 said...

A perfect post. And a lovely layout too! It is so important to keep some details private when you have smaller children, and you have solved the problem wonderfully with the hidden journalling.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

That is the handy thing about paper scrapping. You can't hide stuff behind things digitally.

Julie Ann Shahin said...

Perfect example! xoxo

Karen said...

Lovely post Ruth.

Heather said...

I think you have the balance just right Ruth :)

Cheri said...

Perfect for the situation Ruth! And a beautiful layout to boot!

Amy said...

I am going to go out on a limb here, when it comes to my scrap pages I actually prefer all the journaling out to see, if it is sensitive I don't post it. I have tried hidden journaling a couple of times but it doesn't suit my pages - the only time it has worked is if I have had almost an essay to write and then I type extra onto plain paper and adhere it to the back.

As for protecting privacy in a public forum - I am completely with you! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...