Saturday, 28 May 2011

Five In Five

My favourite Aussie scrapperblogger, Amy, set a new challenge this week.  She asked this question:  What five things won't be in your home in five years' time?
In at #1:  the front flower bed.  If it still looks like this in 5 years, I'm leaving home.  It's been like this since last November and although DH is beginning to make an in-road into the concrete-like soil, there's still a way to go.
#2: the toilet insert seat; still used by DS when he needs to sit down.  It helps to reassure him that he won't fall down the hole.
#3: the IKEA armchair.  This chair has been in our house for all the time I have known DH.  There used to be a sofa that went with it, but that has long gone to the PDSA, where the poorly animals won't mind that some of the springs have sprung.  It was in DS's room for a long time, but I felt it was taking up too much room and moved it onto the landing.  The idea was to freecycle it or donate it to charity.  DH, however, has other ideas.  It's to go in to his loft office.  Thing is, it can't go until DH has cleared out all the junk stuff he has up there already, as there isn't the room ...
#4: the wallpaper in our bedroom.  Thankfully, I don't notice it anymore.  It was up when DH bought the house in 1997 and it is my belief that it has been up since 1991 when our house was built.  I really don't like it.
#5: the gate at the bottom of the loft stairs.  No longer for any child safety aspect, but still in situ to allow DH to work without interruptions from DS.  DH works from home a lot and DS still believes that when men go upstairs they are going to work.

So there you have it.  A wee snapshot of the ordinaryness of what's in my home in 2011.
What about you?  Care to share your "Through the Keyhole" photos?

14 comments:

furrypig said...

have loved the quick tour of your ordinary life I think I am just nosey! I hop to take my fve photos this weekend, enjoy yours xxx

Carrie Rosalind said...

I LOVE this idea for a post! I think I'm going to have to join the group! I'm already thinking about what won't be around my house in five years as I type this...love your list!

Jo.C said...

Like this idea - I am really putting my thinking cap on.Great post :0)

humel said...

Oh Ruth, I loved this post! Especially the bit about when men go upstairs they are going to work lol.... Great snippets of your life now. Won't these posts be interesting to look back on in 5 years' time?

Amy said...

We have so many things around here just like your #1! DS is so funny thinking that men go 'upstairs' to work ... sigh ... the innocence of young children is something I am certainly going to miss in five years time :-)

♥♥ Liz ♥♥ said...

I'm going to have a go but as you know there isn't much inside that now needs changing. Wonder what I'll come up with?

Karen said...

Super post Ruth but I have to confess that I quite like the look of that comfortable chair!

Kirsty.a said...

Great post. I love the use of the stairgate for privacy. wish I'd thought of that!

Cheri said...

gates and potty seats are ancient history around here! But I do remember the days.

Sian said...

Life does move on, whether we want it to or not doesn't it? Great photos.

Alison said...

Like Cheri, no gates or potty-seats for a very long time...enjoy every minute while it lasts!
Alison xx

Rachel Holaday said...

great 5 things! Poor over-loved chair...and I hope, for your sake, that wallpaper is actually gone in 5 years! ;)

Beverly said...

Isn't it amazing how we get so used to seeing something that we really don't like that we no longer even notice it. Ahhh but then when it is changed I always ask dh ..."and why didn't we do this years ago??!!" lol

Gail said...

Loved checking out your 5 things. Got a chuckle out of "men go upstairs to work"