Sunday, 12 June 2011

Food For Thought

Do you think it's possible that a book can alter your mind set?  As previously mentioned on this blog, I loathe having to decide what we'll eat each evening.  The shopping part is the easy bit, it's the deciding that I struggle with.  Ali Edwards recently mentioned a book called The Family Dinner: Great Ways To Connect With Your Kids, One Meal At A Time, and my interest was sufficiently sparked to track down a copy.
I opened it up late yesterday afternoon and was inspired from the first few pages. I think this could be the book that alters my approach to our evening meal.  We always eat at the table together (at least DS and I do – DH isn't always home) but I’ve been feeling depressed about the process lately and really just needed some inspiration to help me recognise all the benefits that come from entering the kitchen with a positive attitude, having a plan & sticking to it, involving DS in the process, if possible, and creating these really lovely daily rituals that I hope DS will remember throughout his life.
(how many post-it note markers?)
I'm cooking a recipe from the book for tonight's supper and although I haven’t read the whole thing yet (there’s lots of content beyond the recipes – anecdotes, quotes, and other inspiration), what I’ve seen so far is filling me with enthusiasm. The Family Dinner also has a blog with recent posts (including recipes and table talk suggestions) here.

6 comments:

Sian said...

I saw that one on her blog and wondered if it was worth buying a copy. I think I have my answer.

♥♥ Liz ♥♥ said...

DN and I eat togther all the time but like your DH John isn't always home. It means I get to hear about his day even if sometimes it's only a grunt to start with!!

Rhona said...

I certainly think it could help, I'm interested to hear more and am going to pop over to the blog.
xx

jo said...

The 3 of us eat together each evening - DS1 is usually out training - but like you I am fed up with making the same things over and over again. When I ask what anyone facies for their tea I rarely get a sensible answer.

Bernie said...

Just being aware and trying something different is great. You are a good mum Ruth....:-)Hugs

Fiona said...

This book's been popping up in lots of places recently, always very positively received. I think I'll have to get myself a copy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...