Saturday, 24 March 2012

Pot Luck Blog Hop

Welcome to Deb's Pot Luck Blog Hop cum House Warming Party; it's lunch time here and I'm just about to put the kettle on.  If you're following the Hop around the globe, then you'll have come to me from Karen at Random Reflections.  Doesn't her recipe sound delicious?
~ your hostess, but not looking her best, admittedly ~
For our very first dinner party as newly weds, I turned to the Queen of British cooking, Delia Smith for help.  Her recipes are straight forward and easy to follow. Our guests loved it and continue to eat with us every few months or so; proof in the pudding, as it were.

Beef in Beer
serves 4-6

2 lb (900g) chuck steak, cut in to 2" (5cm) squares
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 oz onions (350g), quartered then separated into layers
1 well heaped tablespoon plain flour
15 fl oz light ale (425ml)
1 sprig thyme  or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 fat garlic clove, crushed
salt and freshly milled black pepper

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 1, 275F, 140C
Heat the oil in a large flame proof casserole until sizzling hot then sear the meat in it ~ just a few pieces at a time ~ till they become a dark mahogany brown all over.  As the pieces brown, remove them to a plate, then add the onions to the casserole and, with the heat still high, toss them around until brown at the edges.  Now return the meat to the casserole together with any juices.  Add the flour, turn the heat down, and using a wooden spoon stir it around to soak up all the juices.  It will look rather stodgy and unattractive at this stage but that's quite normal.
Next gradually stir in the light ale and, while everything slowly comes up to simmering point, add the thyme, bay leaf, crushed garlic and some salt and freshly milled black pepper.
As soon as it begins to simmer, stir thoroughly, put on a tight-fitting lid and transfer the casserole to the middle shelf of the oven.  
Cook at a gentle simmer for 2 and a half hours.  Don't take the lid off and have a taste half-way because, early on, the beer hasn't had time to develop into a delicious sauce; the beautiful aroma will make you very hungry, but please leave it alone!
Serve with mashed potatoes and red cabbage.

Your next stop on the Hop is Stephanie and the beginning of the dessert recipes. Should you lose your way, you'll find a full list of participants in Deb's kitchen.  Don't forget to tell her I sent you.

19 comments:

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

I don't eat red meat myself, but this is just the kind of meal my family love. Thanks for sharing it Ruth.

Beverly said...

This sounds rich and delicious, Ruth! I am thinking this would be a big winner with my guys. (thanks for including the farenheit ;> )

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Hi Ruth! Thanks so much for having us over today and for participating in my blog hop. :o) I LOVE the photo of you at your door, and your beef in beer recipe sounds amazing. Doug is going to be really happy about this one!

I'm off to Stephanie's now... xo

Cheri said...

Sounds yummy Ruth!

Jo.C said...

Not tried this one but I am a big Delia fan. will have to try it. TFS

beccaf1970 said...

This sounds delicious, and I can pretty much guarantee my husband would love it! :)

Carrie Rosalind said...

Sounds great! Loved seeing your face this morning - happy Saturday and thanks for being part of the party! :)

Sian said...

Good ole Delia! Beef and beer? Two of my favourite ingredients. Combined, they are hard to beat! A great choice for a pot luck

scrappyjacky said...

This sounds delicious,Ruth...and can see my OH loving it as well.

Maria Ontiveros said...

How very British sounding! Will definitely consider this for the future. Happy hopping!
Rinda

Karen said...

Mmmmmmm I can smell it from here and it is making my mouth water!

debs14 said...

Ah, Queen Delia! She'll never let you down! I think this is the recipe that I use too, tried and tested and enjoyed every time!

Alison said...

Can't beat a good old Beef casserole...sounds fab..and you're looking very welcoming there!
Alison xx

furrypig said...

this is the way I enjoy beef slow cooked in alcohol! thanks for sharing yours/Delia's recipe xxx

Amy said...

This sounds super yummy Ruth, TE would love it!

Karen said...

All I had to see was the name of this dish and I knew we'd be trying if before long. This is the kind of thing my husband asks for!

Rhona said...

Sounds like it would be a very satisfying meal and one I'd enjoy in winter :) xx

Ginger said...

I love classic recipes like this that have little ingredients and then put it in the oven for a few hours - thanks Ruth, I will be sure to make this one:)

Margaret said...

Beef in beer! Sounds so nice and warm on a cold spring night in California.